PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
That is a great review. One of the best I've read. Well written and clear (and funny) it resonates because my experience with Elizabethan has been exactly the same. I dislike - -actually hate - it for the reasons Kyle mentioned (burning newspaper is an apt description). I still have half a tin jarred. Thanks to this review I will try it again and make an extra effort to go slow. I do tend towards the fast side, and enjoy big mouthfuls and plumes of smoke, which I know can be a problem, Will try it again at a snails pace. Although given the flavor profile and my general meh feeling about VaPers (much prefer latakia, aro crossover, and burley blends) I suspect that I will not grow to love it,

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A couple of notes on the review. Peterson pipes and Peterson tobaccos are not the same company. STG owns the rights to the Peterson name for tobaccos. When they couldn't get BAT to agree to license the rights to the Dunhill name, STG reassigned the blends to the Peterson marque for the reboot. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the label looks like the Dunhill labeling, STG bought the blend names and label art from BAT. BTW, Dunhill hasn't made tobacco since around 1980.
You're buying a clone. If you like the clone, excellent. My clonal preference is Sutliff Match Victoria, which is modeled after and pretty close to, the Murray's version of Elizabethan Mixture, the original Dunhill authorized clone.
Before I forget, allow me to add this bit of crucial information. Dunhill never made Navy Rolls. They were created by Murray's. Ok, I think I've covered everything.

Now for the review part:
Sutliff Match Victoria: It's good. Smoke it.

Thank you.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A couple of notes on the review. Peterson pipes and Peterson tobaccos are not the same company. STG owns the rights to the Peterson name for tobaccos. When they couldn't get BAT to agree to license the rights to the Dunhill name, STG reassigned the blends to the Peterson marque for the reboot. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the label looks like the Dunhill labeling, STG bought the blend names and label art from BAT. BTW, Dunhill hasn't made tobacco since around 1980.
You're buying a clone. If you like the clone, excellent. My clonal preference is Sutliff Match Victoria, which is modeled after and pretty close to, the Murray's version of Elizabethan Mixture, the original Dunhill authorized clone.
Before I forget, allow me to add this bit of crucial information. Dunhill never made Navy Rolls. They were created by Murray's. Ok, I think I've covered everything.

Now for the review part:
Sutliff Match Victoria: It's good. Smoke it.

Thank you.
I actually like the newer STG product better. So it just depends!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The current Peterson version is not at all like the Murray's version. Murray's had stoved Virginia, red Virginia and a very floral, spicy lemon Virginia. None of that is in the current production. The Viriginias used now are very grassy; not so of the Murray's. There was more spicy perique in the Murray's as well. As Sablebrush said, the Match Victorian was based on the Murray's and is much more reflective of the earlier production than what's currently in that nice, fancy tin.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The current Peterson version is not at all like the Murray's version. Murray's had stoved Virginia, red Virginia and a very floral, spicy lemon Virginia. None of that is in the current production. The Viriginias used now are very grassy; not so of the Murray's. There was more spicy perique in the Murray's as well. As Sablebrush said, the Match Victorian was based on the Murray's and is much more reflective of the earlier production than what's currently in that nice, fancy tin.
100%?.........I wasn't lucky to smoke Dunhill.But I don't like the quality of Peterson in variety general........................

Status
Not open for further replies.