PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
now i'm almost done with the tin.. what a well behaved blend! had a tongue bite today, i actually bit my tongue. was planning for some pirate kake after dinner, but changed the plan and went for EM. decided not to dry the tobacco since it's been in the jar for awhile and it wasn't wet to begin with. the tobacco lit without and issue and burned well passed mid bowl without relight. i'm not good at taste or olfactory descriptions, but you definitely notice sweet va. peppery note is there, but never too much. gives well balanced note from both va and perique. there seems to be some fruit note, but no clue what it is. just great smoke all around. typically smoke using breathing smoke, and worked without any effort. smoked in petes poty 2019 john bull 999 rusticated.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I had a tin from about 4 or 5 years ago, still under Dunhill. Had some lovely plume on the ribbons. I really wanted to like it, considering it's a classic blend and has a pretty good reputation. I didn't care for it. In some reviews I read, mostly the lower scored ones, there seemed to be some parallel in a 'cigarette-like' ash taste. That's exactly what I experienced. I'm finding it hard to reach for the blend and, despite the wonderful aging on it, might have to give it away or save it for the "Break in an Emergency" deal.

It smells wonderful in the tin note, burns well and the ribbon cut is superb, but, it fell short for my taste and palette. Oh well, more for you all! I'll stick with Stratford and Fillmore, both by GLPease.

Reactions: bullet08 and Casual
Mar 1, 2014
Definitely check out Sutliff "Formerly Called Elizabethan Match":

One of the best bowls I've ever had was with this blend.
It's Elizabethan Match that convinced me the cut of the tobacco is almost as important as any other aspect of the blend.
For someone who consistently has trouble with tongue bite from too many re-lights (or just bad lighting technique, or a side effect of dry mouth while sleeping, or just thin skin in general) if I could get everything shag cut I would, and it's no wonder most of the classic Dunhill blends are cut so fine.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Not a fan. But it has its following. I never could get past the topping that only a couple of us have picked up on. Most swear there is no topping, but I swear there’s one. ??‍♂️

Reactions: bullet08

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Embers, am I just imaging that, every time there is a question if something is topped, you say ’’apricot’??
I don’t get it on this one. Do you have a source for this one? Mark me curious...

• Haha
Reactions: logs and bullet08

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Not a fan. But it has its following. I never could get past the topping that only a couple of us have picked up on. Most swear there is no topping, but I swear there’s one. ??‍♂️
I definitely pick up a sweet topping, its almost more of an aromatic than a traditional vaper. Did the Murray's version have a topping also?

Reactions: bullet08

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I have pounds of the match jarred up. The price makes it even more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.