PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
With GM, Honda, Jaguar, Fiat, Mini, Ford, Volvo, Bentley, Mercedes and others announcing they are going all electric...you can't stop what is coming.
I will be buying one in the next 2-3 years but not sure if it will be a truck or sedan. I like the idea of less maintenance which I do 95% myself right now. I have driven 2 EV so far that my friends own. Not sure why I would want to buy an ICE vehicle that has less power, is slower and has more parts to replace then an EV. I am not a tree hugger but I like money and I see spending a lot less of it with an EV. Plus they are FAST...I kinda like that!
Until the battery packs charge life cycle ends and it’s $15k plus labor to replace. And trying to diy it, one mistake and the amps will kill you.
I’m the shop foreman at the local Volvo dealership. We’re already making charge cycle repairs. There is still no good answer on where the functionally dead but still very dangerous, and hazardous, battery packs go.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Until the battery packs charge life cycle ends and it’s $15k plus labor to replace. And trying to diy it, one mistake and the amps will kill you.
I’m the shop foreman at the local Volvo dealership. We’re already making charge cycle repairs. There is still no good answer on where the functionally dead but still very dangerous, and hazardous, battery packs go.
It would be interesting to see a total cost of ownership (cradle to grave) analysis done on EV's -- are they really less expensive to own and operate than ICE, and by how much? Luckily I'm not in the market for a new car, a good thing I guess given all the unoccupied lot space at car dealerships where I live, nevertheless I've been thinking about EV vs. ICE. The lack of available charging stations gives me pause, maybe when they are as plentiful as the local gas station that might tip the scales.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Since late 2011 I have owned a “commuter” car bought new. The first, a Nissan, got me 44 mpg real mileage until the day it died at 190,000 miles in 2018. Replaced it with a small Kia hatchback and it also gives me 44 mpg highway. I did almost nothing to these vehicles other than your consumables……breaks, rotors, battery, oil change, air filter, tires and I did all the work myself excluding tires. Both cars cost me under $18k.

They have a long way to go before they can convince me laying down money for an EV is going to be worth it. It’s not even close to being in the same conversation unless that conversation is “expensive weekend cars to own for fun”

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I investigated a fire a few years ago that involved a shortcut to the all day job.

The “genius” cut an access hole through the bed of the truck which allowed him to bypass dropping the tank. So he proceeded to extract the fuel pump and in doing so, he noticed sand in the gas tank.

His solution was to use a Bissell Shampooer, extra pool hose, duct tape and hose clamps.

He cobbled this together to form a Hillbilly Shop Vac.

So here’s the complex math…. Pulling gasoline through a system involving an unprotected motor and a camper top enclosure.

Amazingly he lived.
Ah, so not quite a candidate for a Darwin Award. The things you must see!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It would be interesting to see a total cost of ownership (cradle to grave) analysis done on EV's -- are they really less expensive to own and operate than ICE, and by how much? Luckily I'm not in the market for a new car, a good thing I guess given all the unoccupied lot space at car dealerships where I live, nevertheless I've been thinking about EV vs. ICE. The lack of available charging stations gives me pause, maybe when they are as plentiful as the local gas station that might tip the scales.
The Ted Talked I referred to brought in the secondary costs of manufacture, including the batteries. Can't remember the name of it, but shouldn't be too hard to find.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Reading pack in the thread, searching for sneaky posts with spam URLs in a normal looking reply, captpat, there's more on the economics up thread.