PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While the Menorah shaped pipe stand is interesting, collection presents something of a pile of crap. It's possible that Einstein bought crap pipes, though images of him smoking a pipe show fairly standard pipes.

The "provenance" is really non existent. The seller's father brought home this crap collection between 25 and 35 years after Einstein's death and didn't start work at Princeton until 14 years after Einstein fell off the perch.

Since the story goes that the houses where faculty lived were cleared out after the occupant departed, why would these pipes still be hanging around 25 to 35 years later?

There is nothing in the "provenance" that directly ties this crap set of pipes to Einstein, and it doesn't take an Einstein to figure that out.

All I can add is that the gullible nitwits bidding on this assortment of crap are certainly no Einsteins.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There is nothing about these pipes to suggest Einstein. Here is a man who where nearly identical clothes and cared little for spending time making choices that had little or nothing to do with mathematics. These pipes "require" choices and there is nothing about them that resembles what we see in a man who chose to smoke Revelation as his main tobacco. These pipes are NOT a revelation.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Even Einstein was no Einstein, some of the time.

"Upon joining the Montreal Pipe Smokers Club in 1950, he reportedly said: 'I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.'"

Or maybe it was just because he was surrounded by Canadians at the time of the alleged remark...

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Get your bids in quick; only 3 days to go for some really crappy pipes that were found in a room once used by Einstein.

Bidding has reached $9,500. [Estimated to sell at $50,000-$60,000]
Shame it's not a live auction; I'd be sitting at the back of the auction room, chuckling louder with each raised bid.
[And it would be hard to resist offering the 'winner' a harbourfront Opera House at reasonable cost]

Reactions: PutteringPiper

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The "provenance" is really non existent. The seller's father brought home this crap collection between 25 and 35 years after Einstein's death and didn't start work at Princeton until 14 years after Einstein fell off the perch.

Since the story goes that the houses where faculty lived were cleared out after the occupant departed, why would these pipes still be hanging around 25 to 35 years later?
Einstein's step daughter, Margot, continued to live in the house after Einstein died until her death in 1986. That's probably when the house was cleared out. Still doesn't prove the pipes were Alberts.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Einstein's step daughter, Margot, continued to live in the house after Einstein died until her death in 1986. That's probably when the house was cleared out. Still doesn't prove the pipes were Alberts.
Yeah, I caught that after I posted. Here's what one would need to provide a provenance, an image of Einstein smoking the pipe(s) in question, an image of the rack with those pipes taken in the home, or some sort of inventory taken at the time the house was emptied. Short of that, it's a "he said".