PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I
Sounds fantastic, and I will kick, punch, and spit my way to the front of the line to stock up on this one. You guys setting on the fence can just enjoy the show, but I'm getting me some of this one.
f you do get more than a few, and I happen to miss out, I’ll always trade something hard to find like a global
I didn't even know about it until now. Guess I'll miss this one. Companies are under no obligation to send me a tin of tobacco for review.
They should only know how privileged they are to do so often. Your reviews are a staple and will probably remain a mainstay and high standard to pipe smokers worldwide.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I

f you do get more than a few, and I happen to miss out, I’ll always trade something hard to find like a global

They should only know how privileged they are to do so often. Your reviews are a staple and will probably remain a mainstay and high standard to pipe smokers worldwide.
I thank you very much for the kind words. I do the best I can.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You raise a good point. If presented with two unknown to you blends—which here is the same blend in two differently labelled tins— likely most would say the one with the more attractive label would be though of as "better". Or they could be plain tins with just the name of a blender. The one with the higher ranking blender is likely to get more votes as being "better". Business Psyche 202.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I guess I'm not following. Are you all doing Right State is simply a repackaging of another blend being sold as a special release? The circumstances with Oriental Silk and The blend sold at the c2019'show, Virginia Oriental was different. The Virginia Oriental was repackaged inn order to be sold by a local tobacco shop.

I would have sworn those two blends were different. I'll have to pop a tin of Virginia Oriental and a jar of. Oriental Silk to compare again.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I once asked SP about their practice of showing you a greater price but selling it for less. My question was why even list the greater price when the item is going to be sold for less. Of course to make you think you're getting a deal. But you aren't, you're going to be charged in line with their profit margin. When I said this they said everyone does that.

But why engage in this kind of sales optical illusion? Why justify it? And I've caught them in worse.
It's done because it works :D It creates a sense of urgency in the buyer, attracts attention, and makes the buyer feel smart, like they're getting a deal.

Supermarkets are very sophisticated at that - dunno about the US so I'll speak about UK and Greek ones anyway - that thing of showing you a reduced price dawned on me when I realised that there were some products I was buying regularly when that I had never seen not being on sale for more than 2 years.

Off topic, what really blew my mind was once in the UK, I realised I was getting coupons for stuff like toothpaste, soap etc about 2-3 days before what I had at home would be finished.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im starting to feel like every new limited release that comes out people start getting suspicious that its probably an old blend with a new name simply because the component tobaccos are similar to other blends. I think MB Latakia Rolls was the last time this happened.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I was about to type but got distracted yesterday
I was going to say if you are buying a decent amount - and I miss the sale or miss out due to selling out - I'd probably be willing to trade something decent for a tin if you'd like - I'd try one of these
I’ll keep that in mind. I’m always happy to trade. I’ve traded and given away all of my esoterica crap and strang BS. I might be less likely to give away a limited C&D, but I can always be persuaded.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
BTW, I really dig your forum name. I’ve recently given the Beach Boys a new ear because of another thread about their music, and your namesake was one of my favorite BB songs so far.
Great song - beach boys don’t get much love anymore, it’s all Beatles beatles beatles. big fan of revolver and white album though

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I guess I'm not following. Are you all doing Right State is simply a repackaging of another blend being sold as a special release? The circumstances with Oriental Silk and The blend sold at the c2019'show, Virginia Oriental was different. The Virginia Oriental was repackaged inn order to be sold by a local tobacco shop.

I would have sworn those two blends were different. I'll have to pop a tin of Virginia Oriental and a jar of. Oriental Silk to compare again.
I am interested in hearing what you discover when you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.