Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm SORRY Mods! I have a hard time Capitalizing Conjunctive Words as it's not proper English. Even in a title! :) But I digress....

One thing that bugs the crap out of me when I clean my pipes (and I clean my pipes after EVERY smoke) is when I stick a pipe cleaner in my bent stems, there was a scraping sound from the metal in the pipe cleaner making contact with the inside of them stem. It drove me crazy knowing I was slowly scratching away the Ebonite or Acrylic and that eventually it might ruin the stem.

I have discovered over my short tenure of Pipe Smoking, solution to this problem: When inserting the pipe cleaner, as soon as I feel any scraping resistance I twist the pipe cleaner as I continue to insert it. It works every time, Even on the most bent of stems.

I hope some of you might find this tip useful as I have never seen it pointed out before. Maybe because it's so obvious but not to Schlubs like me. puffy

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It sometimes helps to put a slight bend in the pipe cleaner, I do this by inserting the pipe cleaner in the stem about 3/4” or so and bending the pipe cleaner down a bit. You don’t need a large bend, just a small bend, this can allow you to ease the pipe cleaner through a bent stem easier, you might still need to turn it left or right, but this will usually avoid scraping. This can also help you to get into the bowl on pipes that aren’t drilled perfectly. *Also* Make sure you are buying decent pipe cleaners, as shitty pipe cleaners often have wire extending well past the fluff.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'm SORRY Mods! I have a hard time Capitalizing Conjunctive Words as it's not proper English. Even in a title! :) But I digress....

One thing that bugs the crap out of me when I clean my pipes (and I clean my pipes after EVERY smoke) is when I stick a pipe cleaner in my bent stems, there was a scraping sound from the metal in the pipe cleaner making contact with the inside of them stem. It drove me crazy knowing I was slowly scratching away the Ebonite or Acrylic and that eventually it might ruin the stem.

I have discovered over my short tenure of Pipe Smoking, solution to this problem: When inserting the pipe cleaner, as soon as I feel any scraping resistance I twist the pipe cleaner as I continue to insert it. It works every time, Even on the most bent of stems.

I hope some of you might find this tip useful as I have never seen it pointed out before. Maybe because it's so obvious but not to Schlubs like me. puffy
Interesting! I've never had that problem but then I use tapered cleaners and insert them backwards from the tenon to the bit with the thick end first. I think the thick end of the tapered pipe cleaners may prevent that from happening as it has more 'cushion' on that end, I don't know.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

always have done this. same way to get a pipecleaner through a plip. ?

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA

Thank you for sharing!!! This would totally bug me for the same reason too! I will remember for when I Aquire a bent stem pipe.
Cheers

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As already said you avoid the scraping with a slight bent, but what's the bother? If you ever get to see the scratches it'd mean the stem is broken anyway!

There are some people, respected pipe makers among them, that believe a perfectly smooth inner wall in the shank and stem make for a better smoking experience because it minimizes turbulence.
I imagine repeated scratching with the wire of pipe cleaners could lead to deeper indentions.

I doubt you’d notice it really but some people are OCD.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With pipe smokers who have many pipes, like many Forums members, they might not scratch an airway often enough to do any discernible damage, and for people who have one or only a few, they might smoke enough to cause some other wear damage before the airway became significantly damaged. Still, this is a fine point that might make people (like me) feel better about correcting for this, and it might really better preserve some pipes. But it is a fine point. I raised a similar point with my independent pipe shop owner, about whether bristle pipe cleaners damaged the airway, and he said the bristles are nylon and softer than the airway materials so do no damage. I think he's likely right.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
There are some people, respected pipe makers among them, that believe a perfectly smooth inner wall in the shank and stem make for a better smoking experience because it minimizes turbulence.
I imagine repeated scratching with the wire of pipe cleaners could lead to deeper indentions.

I doubt you’d notice it really but some people are OCD.

I appreciate that. I care not to scrape when running a pipe cleaner but that's just because I hate destruction caused by incompetence/laziness, not because I worry it'll affect the pipe in any way.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Funny that I just ran into this issue. As soon as a I heard the initial scrape the rookie in me tried to keep going. I then told myself that aint right lol. I pulled it out and put a slight bend at the tip and inched it through slowly until it went all the way through and I was good. I noticed BJ Long pipe cleaners have a tiny bit of the metal sticking out at the ends, can someone let me know which pipe cleaners don't have that, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.