PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Maybe it's a carry over from my military days, but I am content with the my good ol' Zippo with the pipe insert.
It's like my 1911....you can drop it, beat it, curse at it, lose it, find it, get it wet, get it hot, get it dirty, get it clean, use it when it's so cold your spit freezes, and as long as you maintain her it will fire up every time.
Wicks and fluid & flint is cheap and you can always get a little accessory keychain tank for those awkward moments when you find out it's empty.

It is also proudly made in the good ol' USA....

I still almost cry after losing one I bought aboard the USS Frederick in '86 with the ship on it....bought it at the little PX caged area during winter seas coming from the Philippines to mainland Japan...out on deck with the flat bottom LST shaking like a short time girl and the wind howling it never failed...the Bic guys looked like they were holding a group prayer circle trying to get a smoke lit :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Casual

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
4.jpgThe $100 Pipe Lighter that Actually Works – I don’t know about you, but every time a new pipe lighter hits the market I buy one. They all work great for about ten minutes, then the fuel tank starts to leak, the flame goes into hibernation, the striker and the flint don’t get along, the finish wears off, etc, etc, etc. I’ve got a drawer full of those sucker punching things! Would somebody please invent a lighter that is as faithful as the family dog?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dang, Steve, written by anyone else, I'd have said operator error. But just bad luck? I don't buy new models, but all the Old Boys, Kiribis and FauxPonts I have all work fine. And a few other brands, but only a couple were under a C note. But for that, I got four "tribute" "DuPonts."

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
eh I had a comparable Peterson. It was nice and all but tbh a Djeep or bic is absolutely fine. Controversial opinion but matches are outdated and useless and zippos make everything taste like crap. Bu i am a 21st century digital boy, what do I know ?‍♂️

Reactions: BlueMaxx

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have an old boy and a zippo but recently aquired a second hand Dunhill Rollagas pipe lighter and for non windy conditions it beats the other two.Lights everytime, doesnt need refilling every day due to fuel evaporation .
As I mostly smoke at home it gets used almost exclusively

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.