PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I bought a cheap pipe on Ebay and when I received it I was surprised to find that it is an Edwards pipe! I am trying to date it. Maybe you guys can help. It says Edwards on the shank (Surprisingly on the top). On the bottom it says ALGERIAN BRIAR and the 72 and either a 1 or a 4

here is a picture.

T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQNvBQZN7RgcIw60_12.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Cool. I don't really know anything about them except they usually sell for more. This is the first pipe I have bought in a while so it was a good surprise!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Adam, if that pipe smokes cool and dry then it could be the deal of the century, hell 8 bucks is pretty damn inexpensive for an algerian briar pipe. I hope it is a good smoker for you, it is a good looking pipe.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks Cigrmaster. I don't think it is too valuable but definitely more valuable than what I paid. The stem was very difficult to get out so I will have to work with that a little bit.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
You did well for 8 bucks. Shape number 721 canadian. Also your pipe is blasted.....not many of those turn up with a lot of frequency like the smooths. Either way, not worth a lot in terms of monetary value, but great smokers.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
They started in FL and are still in Tampa Fl. Also there a few franchised Edward's shops still scattered around the country. Edward's also has a wholesale distribution business there too.....FGT Enterprises.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have never heard anything about it before. If anyone knows of any articles about Edwards or algerian briar don't be afraid to post it here. :D

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Here is some literature. I will be posting some more stuff as time allows.
http://www.otcpipes.com/edwardsinfo

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Here is a couple of snippets from the catalogs I have.
The first one speaks volumes, especially today for those that don't have real pipe shop to visit on a regular basis.
ed1-3.jpg

With all the mergers that went on in the 70's in Great Britain, I guess Edward's thought they would have a little fun with this one.
ed2-3.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I also picked up an Edwards a while back, its a Bulldog 716-M. Not real sure of its year. But it smokes great. It does not have the same appearance as the ones in the pics from octpipes site. So, I am still uncertain. I think I paid about 8 bucks as well.
Jason

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Very nice. I like the shape of yours. When I finish restoring mine I will post better pictures. Mine is so light and from what I hear that means it is good briar. I can't wait to smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.