PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Does EGR have a fruit flavoring?
it does and while it's supposedly red wine. To me it has a distinct plum brandy flavor. It more then a hint but it doesn't cover up the tobacco. It is like just enough to call it an aromatic in my opinion. It is constantly there. Hints come and go. I'd say it's a very tobacco forward aromatic. Oddly it kind of reminds me of Cary Grants blend as far as the level of flavoring and the easy of picking out and enjoying the straight tobacco flavor. Only word of warning I have is if you let it get as dry as I normally let other tobaccos get the flavor takes a very sour note. It's not ruined but it's not anywhere near as good as it is with a light dry (a few hours in a packed pipe or a day in a leather folding tobacco pouch). And even though it's been said before by me. It's kind of a perfect blend. One I never ever want to be without.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
it does and while it's supposedly red wine. To me it has a distinct plum brandy flavor. It more then a hint but it doesn't cover up the tobacco. It is like just enough to call it an aromatic in my opinion. It is constantly there. Hints come and go. I'd say it's a very tobacco forward aromatic. Oddly it kind of reminds me of Cary Grants blend as far as the level of flavoring and the easy of picking out and enjoying the straight tobacco flavor. Only word of warning I have is if you let it get as dry as I normally let other tobaccos get the flavor takes a very sour note. It's not ruined but it's not anywhere near as good as it is with a light dry (a few hours in a packed pipe or a day in a leather folding tobacco pouch). And even though it's been said before by me. It's kind of a perfect blend. One I never ever want to be without.
Have you ever had Stokkebye 702 Burley, which has plum flavoring, and if so how does it compare in plum strength? I like the 702 burley itself but the plum is too strong and lingers long afterward. I have some Cary Grant somewhere and will revisit it. Thanks for the info!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Well I received my tin, production date in bottom of 011722. Tried some in a meer last night.

I had smoked half a dozen bowls during the day, so I thought I’d give it another shot this morning in my Lee medium saddle stem.

My conclusion is the same, it’s not really my thing. The initial mouth feel is the same I get from Sutliff’s Duke Albert, kind of a smoky “my teeth feel like they’re wearing sweaters” feel that I don’t like. Flavor was smooth and it produces plenty of smoke. Burns well, and left bowl a bit wet. To my non-adept palate it seemed like a burley/strove va/cav blend, and the spice tasted more to me like a touch of cigar leaf than fruity (whereas tin note smelled just a tad spicy-plummy).

I was surprised by how hot my pipe got, even though I was really taking my time.

I jarred it and will set aside for a future visit, or most likely trade fodder once I’m legal.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well I received my tin, production date in bottom of 011722. Tried some in a meer last night.

I had smoked half a dozen bowls during the day, so I thought I’d give it another shot this morning in my Lee medium saddle stem.

My conclusion is the same, it’s not really my thing. The initial mouth feel is the same I get from Sutliff’s Duke Albert, kind of a smoky “my teeth feel like they’re wearing sweaters” feel that I don’t like. Flavor was smooth and it produces plenty of smoke. Burns well, and left bowl a bit wet. To my non-adept palate it seemed like a burley/strove va/cav blend, and the spice tasted more to me like a touch of cigar leaf than fruity (whereas tin note smelled just a tad spicy-plummy).

I was surprised by how hot my pipe got, even though I was really taking my time.

I jarred it and will set aside for a future visit, or most likely trade fodder once I’m legal.
I may be wrong, but your description makes me think you may have been puffing too fast. Try smoking a bowl at a sipping pace, and see if that works any better for you.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I may be wrong, but your description makes me think you may have been puffing too fast. Try smoking a bowl at a sipping pace, and see if that works any better for you.
Could be that, but after last night I made sure the bowl this morning I was barely drawing, using the breath technique with pauses between trying to keep ember barely lit. The bowl heat really surprised me as I’ve smoked that pipe like a freight train with virginias in recent days without same result.
I had 2/3 bowl of Yorktown after pipe cooled, smoking as I usually do to check…
Maybe I packed too loosely, even tamping “sides in” it burned to white ash down middle.

I’d keep at it if the experience was “that’s awesome, except for…” but it wasn’t.
I think my mileage just varied on this one.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
EGR always bites the hell out of me, but I put it a long (7"+) billiard which improved my experience considerably. I don't know why, since tongue bite is a chemical reaction, not from heator anything. I may have also been sipping more slowly, as Jim said, anticipating the bite. Either way, it was better in a longer pipe.