PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It might interest you fellas to know that Robinson's grand daughter gets a cut of the sales. Bravo to Sutliff for doing that.

Reactions: dino and danimalia
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I bought a tin at a B&M a couple weeks ago. It’s an enjoyable mild aro that burns well right from the tin and without much goop in my pipe. The flavoring is hard to describe.
The Latakia component in this reminds me that in recent weeks, I’ve been trying something that Fred Hanna recommended in his book, The Perfect Smoke, to blend fruity aromatics 50:50 with Latakia. Pretty tasty. I’ve tried it with Stokkebye Black Currant and Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry. Both were winners in my book.
Another Aro/Latakia blend to try is Npod's blend of Penzance and Rattray's Exotic Orange (now ”Passion"). I'm sure it would work with other English blends, too.

Reactions: danimalia

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
Yup, read Jimink’s reviews and bought a tub to try. Never looked back, it’s been in my rotation since. Love the stuff and it’s such an easy blend to smoke too. Added bonus, the missus actually comments on the room note being very pleasant to her and she likes it better than just about any other tobacco, which is funny since she tolerates but doesn’t love Latakia. Bonus!
Heard a nasty rumor Sutliff planed to discontinue EGR Hope it is not true!
Semper Fi
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: danimalia

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I purchased a tin having come across the story about the blend and Jim's work to save it and I loved it. Unlike anything else I've tried and delicious. I now have a tub on hand and will likely keep this one in stock in my collection permanently.

I would be quite vexed if Sutliff did discontinue this as it took a while for me to find an "all day" aro that works for me.

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I went to a tobacco/pipe shop to see if they stocked EGR. The guy there said they didn't carry it and he heard they were ceasing production. The guy really didn't seem to knowledgeable and wasn't a pipe smoker himself so I don't know how credible his info is.
Semper Fi
Mike

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Another Aro/Latakia blend to try is Npod's blend of Penzance and Rattray's Exotic Orange (now ”Passion"). I'm sure it would work with other English blends, too.
That one is good. Penzance works really well with vanilla, caramel, and chocolate aros as well.?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I enjoy EGR but I'm having a difficult time deciding what pipe to smoke it in. There are times when a cob works best then I try it in a briar and think this will work. I guess I should just stop being undecided and just smoke it.

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I got this from Ben at Tobacco Pipes this morning. He has always been honest in my dealings with him and my dealings with TP.

"Hello Mike,
This is a normally stocked product and I do not see any reason why this blend would be discontinued. Of course nothing is ever 100% but it is very popular and the manufacturer has never expressed any interest in getting rid of the blend. Please let me know if you have any other questions. "

I believe him.
Semper Fi
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: dino and JimInks

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I enjoy EGR but I'm having a difficult time deciding what pipe to smoke it in. There are times when a cob works best then I try it in a briar and think this will work. I guess I should just stop being undecided and just smoke it.
Copy that

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
Copy that, Ray. Went though the same thing. Finally just smoke it in whatever pipe I laid hands on the day. It's all delicious!
Semper Fi
Mike

Reactions: ray47

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Appropriately enough, jiminks gave me my first sample of EGR at the TAPS pipe show some years ago, and I have an unopened tin (along with many unopened tins) on my pipe cabinet. It is a first-rate burley blend from the old school, and I do like that burley.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I went to a tobacco/pipe shop to see if they stocked EGR. The guy there said they didn't carry it and he heard they were ceasing production. The guy really didn't seem to knowledgeable and wasn't a pipe smoker himself so I don't know how credible his info is.
Semper Fi
Mike

If it is being discontinued, the people who run Sutliff are unaware of it. I heard back from the front office, and was told it's staying in production as I figured. It's grandfathered in and selling. Your tobacconist's information isn't worth a damn. Don't listen to morons.

Reactions: dino and oldmike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think rumors are rife right now reflecting much uncertainty. I like that I stubbornly disbelieved that the Dunhill blends would just go away. 'Doesn't mean they'll be just like they were, but that they had value and found a new home. The pipe shop owner might have been hoping you'd stock up if he said the blend was discontinued. Take rumors under advisement and tap your various sources for info.

Reactions: JimInks

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Bought a tin a while back out of pure intrigue...EGR's name and all...I absolutely loved it! I still have some, but I'm glad to know I can order more when I run out. Thanks jiminks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.