Edward G and a little Nightcap...Awesome!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Supposedly Edward G Robinson blend contains latakia but I sure can't taste it. So I mixed in a little Nightcap (about 25% by volume I reckon). Turned a nice smoke into a great one. Jim you should try this.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
EGR is one percent latakia. It's there more for adding a little smokiness rather than for taste. Mixing it with Nightcap does sound interesting though. Later in life, Shelby Foote cut EGR with what turns out to be Barking Dog, which has a fair amount of latakia. Pipedreamer helped me discover this or was it the other way around? He was buying what Foote was and sent me a sample to see if I knew what Foote was adding to EGR. I immediately knew it was Barking Dog. Anyway, 3/4 EGR and 1/4 Barking Dog ain't bad. Don't have any Nightcap here to try it, but it sounds worth trying.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Awww... forget the last post. What I meant to say is that Shutterbugg is a heathenist, traitor to EGR. He should be tarred and feathered, thrown into a skunk pen, run out of town on a rail, etc., etc., etc.
No. Really. Honest!!! :rofl: :nana: :crazy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Barking Dog is cube-cut burley-based whereas Nightcap is ribbon-cut VA-based with some Turkish and a little Perique thrown in. I would think any of the Dunhill English blends (or other brands with similar ingredients) would do about the same thing for EGR as Nightcap does. The main difference might be nic content, as NC is pretty stout in that department.
Actually I like EGR by itself (although the 1.5oz tin I procured as a trial seems to be quite dry and I didn't bother to add any moisture to it). I just got to thinking maybe Eddie originally specified enough lat to at least make itself known (I mean most people either love it or hate it), but gradually the content dwindled over the years (maybe due to aro smokers' or their wives' lack of appreciation for the taste and odor of latakia) to the point it's hardly evident any more.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The only thing I can tell you is that Sutliff's blender at the time told me they had the original formula, which had been purchased from the previous owner.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
EGR is one percent latakia. It's there more for adding a little smokiness rather than for taste. Mixing it with Nightcap does sound interesting though. Later in life, Shelby Foote cut EGR with what turns out to be Barking Dog, which has a fair amount of latakia. Pipedreamer helped me discover this or was it the other way around? He was buying what Foote was and sent me a sample to see if I knew what Foote was adding to EGR. I immediately knew it was Barking Dog. Anyway, 3/4 EGR and 1/4 Barking Dog ain't bad. Don't have any Nightcap here to try it, but it sounds worth trying.
Thanks for the heads up on this thread Jim, I will give you a shout soon!
Eric

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
EGR is one of my favs and I always keep a supply on hand. I also knew of Foote cutting it but didn't know the other blend. Thanks for posting the information.
I actually enjoy EGR with a little perique, probably around 1% or 2%, after I smoke a third or so of a tin. That seems to wake up the flavors of the smoke towards the bottom of the tin.
My 2¢.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have both of those on hand, but neither tin is opened. So I'll definitely keep it in mind, maybe even tape a little note to the bottom of one or the other tin to remind me. Sometimes a little boost from a stronger blend is just what a mild blend needs on occasion.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
That's true. Take the same hotdog, cover it with chili, or with sauerkraut and mustard, or with ketchup and pickle relish, or with melted american cheese and wrapped in bacon, and you have completely different taste experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.