PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I recently purchased (through EBay) a 14 ounce can of Edgeworth Sliced tobacco still sealed in its original can. I thought it quite possible that the can had been compromised through rust and it was, on the bottom. The tobacco inside was very dry and the very bottom layer of slices had rust on them but I managed to keep them separate from the rest and now have 10 - 11 ounces of tobacco that I'm going to rehydrate. Even as dry as it was, the tobacco still smelled like a combination of honey and good molasses. The slices were nearly perfect and there was no tobacco powder or broken slices even after transport through the mail. I was amazed. I have several questions that forum members might be able to answer. While only a small percentage of the slices were stained with rust, should I be concerned about smoking the other, unstained flakes, once they're rehydrated? Any larger health concerns other than the usual? The unstained flakes were protected by a waxy paper lining, which after all those years, did a pretty good job. Should I try to save the rust-stained flakes? It is probably possible, as only a small fraction of each flake has rust on it. Anybody have experience with this situation? Any tips? My plan is to rehydrate the "good" slices slowly in a dedicated humidor using wet oasis and a mix of propylene glycol and distilled water which is how I maintain my cigars at correct condition (70deg/70% humidity). I'm hoping that, in a small enough container, with no other tobacco, the slices will maintain some of their aroma. We shall see. Comments? Suggestions?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That's a tough question to answer because it's a personal decision, but I would not feel comfortable smoking tobacco that had rust on it. I think the rest of it would be okay once hydrated. I'd like to know how it is when you smoke it, you lucky dog!!!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So you've never used a slightly rusty pan to cook with during camping or cooked on some grill grates which had oxidized? Sorry. If there is some slight rust on the flakes, I doubt that would stop me from smoking them. Rust is on more things that we touch with our hands and then touch our eyes, mouths, etc. As long as you've had your tetanus shot within the last ten years, I see little that would be a health concern. This said, I am by no means a medical professional so take my opinion at its face value.
-Jason

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well, if you are sure not to inhale any of it, then go for it. I would just worry about inhalation issues. Otherwise, Jason is totally right. We eat rust OFTEN.
Good find on that score!
=D

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
When I eat rust I end up with a bacon strip in my shorts or is it the other way around?
Ive seen a post or two over the years about rust on baccy and the general opinion is to toss the stuff with rust and the rest is fine. I am kind of a prissy dude so I would toss it. lol

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
According to what info. I just looked up, inhaling iron oxide ( rust ) can be dangerous to your lungs. Ingesting it can cause stomach irritation.

As far as Edgeworth slices go, I tried a can years ago and found it stronger than I like. It was stronger than their Ready Rubbed I thought. You may enjoy strong tobacco though.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
According to what info. I just looked up, inhaling iron oxide ( rust ) can be dangerous to your lungs. Ingesting it can cause stomach irritation.
Exactly, I wouldn't be worried about the tobacco without the rust on it, I rehydrated a package of long discontinued tobacco in a pouch that was probably close to 50 years old or more, it was a ready rubbed flake and it was actually in nice condition and hadn't turned to dust even though it was brittle. I'm sure you could pick through the rusty tobacco and save some of it by breaking off the good pieces, but I wouldn't smoke tobacco with rust on it, and I'm a Canadian where tobacco prices are through the roof. Ingesting small amounts is maybe okay, but actually burning it and inhaling it can't be good for you. I'm sure it wouldn't send you to the hospital or do any long term damage, but it's just something I wouldn't do. I'm sure it would taste awful also.

Status
Not open for further replies.