PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
Hi, all. This is my first post here. I nabbed a pipe rest/ash tray off ebay a few weeks back and the seller threw in an unopened pouch of Edgeworth Executive Mixture. I'd post a picture but I don't know how :/
From what I can find it was introduced in the late 50's and discontinued in the mid 70's. So this pouch is at least 40 years old?
What I'd like to find out is 1) can it be saved with moisture discs or some other method and 2) is it worth trying to save? The pouch smells amazing and it's awful tempting to try, but I think it also makes kind of a neat collectors item. I'm torn. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, all!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Most all tobacco is worth saving. Hydrate it slowly first. Then give it a try. I never tried it and would really like to hear a report on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would say keep it as a collecters piece. I got a sealed pouch before that was probably around 30-40 years old, crispy dry but not dust, rehydrated it, and it was just a weird flat smoke, it smelled good in the pouch still, but after I wished I would of kept it as is as a collectible. I still have some 3 years later, I'm sure it was great in it's time, but after that long, it just has lost all of it's oils and it's not enjoyable.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I think I would agree on the collectors peice. Old Virginias and Latakias taste great with lots of age, Burleys sometimes improve, and generally Aromatics have mixed results. I had a bag of 10 year old McClelland Cavendish Blue that was fantastic, and a tin of 8 year old Peterson Special Reserve that bit my tongue off. And I have had good luck rehydrating 15 year old tobaccos, but not always. However, the value sometimes is in the packaging. Of course, after you smoked the tobacco, you would still have the package.

I have an old 1960's unopened tin of Half and Half. While sometimes my curiosity is very strong, I just can't force myself to unleash that horror on the pipe smoking world. Then again, it may have turned into Penzance....

One last thought: the volatile aromatics that gave the tobacco it's original taste may have evaporated away, taking that flavor with it. But you never know till you try.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Thing to remember is this tobacco hasn't aged, it's just dried up. Factors need to be in place for tobacco to age, in a plastic pouch these factors aren't there.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to a 1956 magazine advertisement, Edgeworth Executive Mixture was a cavendish-cut pipe-tobacco comprised of Burley, golden flake, and red Virginia, and contained, "... no added aromatics." A delightful sounding recipe from the vaunted House of Edgeworth.
If it smells as good as you say, then you might try rehydrating and smoking a small sample. After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh? Good luck!

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the feedback, all. It's a tough choice. I think I'll keep it intact for now. I think potential regret outweighs my curiosity at the moment.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
A drugstore blend no discerning pipesmoker would touch when it was in production, now dried to a crisp...sounds like a double-win for today's pipe "hobbyists".

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
Edgeworth at least paid to make us think he smoked it.
Rockwell-Photo-Pub-1959-Edgeworth-Executive-Mixture-Tobacco.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.