Ebay Watchers: Which $20 Pipes Do You Have To Stop Yourself From Buying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I watch ebay quite a bit. Some brands or types of pipes come up with a $20 Buy it Now option. I have to remind myself that I don't need another smoker. I have plenty of un-resotred ones. Mine triggers are:
Denmark Stanwell 2nds- there are tons
Savinelli 2nds,
Weber or Jobey with Para England/Enlish on the stem.
Oom Pauls of any type lately.
What are yours?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
<p>Oom Pauls are dangerous for me, too. I've got an unsmoked Jobey-made Wally Frank White Bar that could break your resolve

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have yet to pull the trigger on an oom Paul because I really have no idea what to look for.... But cheap Webers are hard to resist so I have quit visiting Ebay.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
After close to three years of looking daily at Ebay, and buying, cleaning, fixing, and selling who knows how many pipes, I had my fill. Now I'm happy and hardly ever go to Ebay, ever. :wink:

Ebay is an addiction- after spending a lot of capital investment in my first month of smoking I had thought to cool down a couple a months before buying a high end meer ... but in the meantime I am continuously buying old estate pipes of on ebay. However I would prefer to buy more expensive pipes the traditional way, and look in ebay for cheap barn finds.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
still today I can find some Old French 40-50ie estates majorly these are squat bulldog/prince models costing less than $30 obviously these ain't nothing fancy like and coming often as unbranded saying only Bruyere Qurantee ..

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some real bargains can be had on occasion. Yesterday I bought a hand made Butz Choquin 'Maitre Pipier Extra' bent billiard for a mere £22 ($28) including p+p.
Yes it needs a bit of cleaning but is in pretty decent condition with no major issues to begin with. So a hand made pipe with beautiful grain for a lot less than a night in the pub cannot be sneezed at.
The trick on eBay is to look hard and look often and be prepared to haggle as I did with the above :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I still peruse Ebay, just because I like to look at the vast selection of pipes for sale, but I rarely buy anything anymore unless it's a new or unsmoked pipe that I can make an offer on.

Sometimes I do get tempted by a Peterson or the like, but I rarely pull the trigger and I have enough $20 pipes these days.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I went through a spell of buying many estates cheaply, often as joblots. The intention was to refurbish them and keep some for myself and sell the rest just to cover my costs.
All worked well until I realised I had about 275 pipes scattered all over the house..and have still not sold a single one :roll:
Buying estates on eBay can become addictive. EEPAD anyone?
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bent bulldog pipes are my favourite so any that arrive here stay here :puffy:
I like pretty much any bent pipe but they unfortunately make up a tiny percentage of the pipes I bought to refurbish.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.