eBay just pulled all 15 of my listings for sealed tins...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I called in and was told they do it in batches, they pulled 400 listings today.
Yet there are still 173 sealed tins listed for sale, some are actually bags of Camel cigarette tobacco.
Quite a shame, will have to wait 90 days before the warning expires and try again. They tell me I need to show a picture of the empty tin. Don't know how to get around that.
We really need a tins clearinghouse....

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
They pulled some others also. I just got home and the tin I won from you on Sunday was here. I went to leave feedback and I wasn't able to. They pulled the one I won from Twest pipes I won on Sunday also. They don't seem to have any rhyme or reason.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I had two pulled several months ago and was slapped with a 30 day suspension. Haven't listed since since I'm sure it escalates to something more than 30 days next time

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
You can't sell sealed tins anymore? Even if they are no longer produced and "not for consumption"?
When the heck did this start?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I know eBay does close auctions periodically, but the FDA announcement may have sparked a full-blown witch hunt? It looks as though eBay may be protecting itself, and consignment with someone like Pipestud or 4Noggins may be the way to go moving forward. I know the owner relinquishes a percentage of the sale for the service, but it's better than having your eBay account shutdown. I just hope buying and selling on the private market (like this site, and pipe shows) isn't affected by the new regulations.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I think eBay's doing this for show, the new announcement didn't change anything...
"Before today, there was no federal law prohibiting retailers from selling e-cigarettes, hookah tobacco or cigars to people under age 18. Today’s rule changes that with provisions aimed at restricting youth access, which go into effect in 90 days, including:
Not allowing products to be sold to persons under the age of 18 years (both in person and online);

Requiring age verification by photo ID;

Not allowing the selling of covered tobacco products in vending machines (unless in an adult-only facility); and

Not allowing the distribution of free samples."

For as long as I have been on this forum, ebay has periodically shut down the selling of tins. It makes me think that they don't have someone who is keeping a constant check on this, but someone just gets handed the assignment to do this every blue moon. And, not everyone gets shut down. Some seem to slip between the cracks, luck of the draw.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Almost all internet sites do very little until there is a complaint. Well, except ideological jihadists like Facebook, but even they let lots of stuff slide until they get an email or letter about it, and then leap into action with double fervor to show everyone they take the law seriously (or at least, some laws).

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
New policy

Policy overview
You're not allowed to sell tobacco products on eBay, including collectible packaging that contains tobacco, because of strict government regulations. For details on what can and can't be listed, see our guidelines.
Our tobacco policy only applies to items sold on the U.S. eBay website (eBay.com). Our international websites may have different rules, so be sure to check each country's website to see what's allowed. Be sure to also follow our
Allowed
Allowed
Collectible packaging that's completely empty (no tobacco inside the package)
Not allowed
Not allowed
Any collectible tobacco packaging that still contains tobacco
Any item containing tobacco, including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, and loose tobacco
Blunts or cigar wraps
Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and components
Herbal cigarettes or herbal tobacco (sometimes called nicotine-free cigarettes or tobacco-free cigarettes)
Hookah or Shisha molasses that contains tobacco
Including photos of cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco items when selling cigar bands, collectible packaging, or other accessories
Nicotine inhalers or nasal sprays (see our medical

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
This is really quite bad! I'm a fan of sealed tins (I buy them for the tin art you know). So this one HURTS!,but that's what the FDA's after here,isn't it?
Plugugly, Plum Disgusted!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew there might be good reason I never use ebay and never joined Facebook. Friends indeed.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is going to cause me problems with my burgeoning "Drugs That U Smoke" Ebay business. It appears we've been reduced to the nasty slum referred to as the list of Craig. Sad days indeed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Exactly as Nate describes. I've had no issues this week. Don't include the phrasing that was used (under 18, tobacco not for use, etc.) If the word tobacco is used, it won't even get listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.