PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Anyone else notice or agree that prices on Ebay on estate pipes have recently jumped up? Admittedly I find the bids can go skyhigh anyways but I've been watching most days at prices seem to be high for starters anymore.
Getting tougher to increase a collection to me.
The last second sniping is annoying enough.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Then learn how to snipe.
Oh I know how to snipe- what I am saying is that the prices seemed to have jumped up for starters. At least people waited until the last moment. I am finding that it's hardly worth bidding on some at the prices they are at days well before the bid ends. As @olkofri mentions, might as well save for a new one...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I hear you on the finances. I'm currently in red numbers, which is why I couldn't take advantage of the IPSD sales this year. Still, you can get a heck of a good pipe, say a Rossi, for less than $60 (less than $40 till this Sunday).

I never understood the appeal of second-hand. I reckon when we're talking about stuff like cars, well, yeah, the difference is thousands, but when the difference is only mere tens of bucks...

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I hear you on the finances. I'm currently in red numbers, which is why I couldn't take advantage of the IPSD sales this year. Still, you can get a heck of a good pipe, say a Rossi, for less than $60 (less than $40 till this Sunday).

I never understood the appeal of second-hand. I reckon when we're talking about stuff like cars, well, yeah, the difference is thousands, but when the difference is only mere tens of bucks...
Well I agree on many used pipes. There are some really nice larger pipes that are outside my reach as a new hand carved offering.
I have 2 Rossi's, a Savinelli, GBD. The ones I bought new were 1 Rossi at about $60 ish (small but great smoke) and a nice Savinelli. I really would like a different sort of pipe and I can retire for a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: lightmybriar

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
In my view 'Sniping on eBay, auctions is something childish behavior, previously I was thinking this sniping method was only practiced on Ebay.de(Germany) but arguably this new mode'bidding went all over and reached the U.S sites as well,
Agreed- I have not done it in quite some time now though it almost seems necessary on the nicer offerings. They even have sniping software/services. I assured myself if I have to do that- I should pass.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well I agree on many used pipes. There are some really nice larger pipes that are outside my reach as a new hand carved offering.
I have 2 Rossi's, a Savinelli, GBD. The ones I bought new were 1 Rossi at about $60 ish (small but great smoke) and a nice Savinelli. I really would like a different sort of pipe and I can retire for a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Take a look at Moretti if you're into carvers:

Prices all across the gamut, but there are some inexpensive unsmoked ones.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Yay! I’ve got a sizable amount of pipes to sale from an estate.

I’m sure @olkofri will be buying plenty as he knows his fellow lowly crew mate will only sell him the cleanest of second hand pipes. Plus when he’s in surgery he doesn’t pay attention to what pipe is in his mouth as long as he’s busy sawing off splintered fingers and limbs that don’t “look right.”

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Some English brand names on the estate pipe market(again mostly on the U.S sites )are reaching higher final bid numbers that often equal or exceeds what a brand new similar pipe would cost,but agreed, these are highly collectible items and once it is gone,it may turn out You are having your next opportunity after several years if any

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Anyone else notice or agree that prices on Ebay on estate pipes have recently jumped up? A...
Yeah, agree. Sure seems like it when I was browsing last night. Saw a lot of buy it nows that were nice, but just prices I would never feel good at smoking knowing I paid way to much.

As a side note, I have noticed quite a few estates where the price of the used pipe that is currently still in production outweighs what a new pipe would cost. You could literally just flip over to SPcom and buy it for way less.

Now, I don't disparage someone for asking whatever they want for whatever they are trying to sell. If I want to ask a million dollars for a Chacom, then either counter offer me or keep walking. I can't stand whiny shoppers that complain like this, as if it's a crime or something. If you can get it for less somewhere, then shut the F up and go buy it there.

But, when the eBayer seems to legitimately be trying to sell something without doing any homework at all, it just cracks me up.

I've seen more Stanwell done this way, for some reason. Maybe the seller has no idea that they moved production to drop their prices.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
As a side note, I have noticed quite a few estates where the price of the used pipe that is currently still in production outweighs what a new pipe would cost. You could literally just flip over to SPcom and buy it for way less.

Now, I don't disparage someone for asking whatever they want for whatever they are trying to sell. If I want to ask a million dollars for a Chacom, then either counter offer me or keep walking. I can't stand whiny shoppers that complain like this, as if it's a crime or something. If you can get it for less somewhere, then shut the F up and go buy it there.

But, when the eBayer seems to legitimately be trying to sell something without doing any homework at all, it just cracks me up.

I've seen more Stanwell done this way, for some reason. Maybe the seller has no idea that they moved production to drop their prices.
Yep, I was looking at little French pipes the other day, and the lowest price I could find for the shape I wanted was $40 + $20 shipping, and it was in very used condition. I went on SP and bought a new Ropp instead, it was $40 + $7 shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.