PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
That's why I buy chimneys. You can shave 'em down as you go.
002-099-7282.6098.jpg

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
So what you're saying is I should buy it, look at the return address, drive over to his house, throw the pipe through a window, slash his tires, and steal his dog?

I was in the market for a dog anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and jmg81

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
During WWI men in the trenches would often shave down their pipes to create a lower profile to help conceal themselves from German snipers. For a brief period in the summer of 1917 it was fashionable for American men to smoke a “shaver” (or “shavie” as the British called them) as a way of showing support and solidarity for the US troops that had just entered the war and as a way to save tobacco which had just started being rationed.

Eagle eyed viewers can spot a few “shavers” in the film All Quite On The Western Front (1930).

Reactions: jensen
During WWI men in the trenches would often shave down their pipes to create a lower profile to help conceal themselves from German snipers.
Ok, I am having problems imagining this... so if the snipers can't see the top of their pipes once shaved down... is it because their helmets and faces are camouflaged that the snipers can't see their faces? I mean, removing half to an inch off their pipes doesn't seem to conceal the smoke coming off of them, nor their faces if they held the pipe normally in their clench... or were they positioning their pipes upwards, like submarine scopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.