PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm kind of new at buying pipes on the internet and was wondering if any of you have any advice about buying pipes on Ebay? And if you can recommend any other good places.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. Good luck. eBay is really good for pipes, but a great alternative is a site called THE RIGHT PIPE. Great prices, huge stock, and quality products. I've purchased from them, and was very happy. LeRoy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Estate pipes on Etsy. All items are "buy now price" rather than auction, so you know the upfront price.
I have bought from Fae (Tobacco Treasures) who is a Forums sponsor.

I've bought some bargains on EBay, and seen some go for (to me) mind boggling WTF prices when 2 people get into a fight.

My advice for EBay purchases is to set your price and walk away if it goes for more. Unless it is a genuine "white whale" chances are that it will resurface.

Some vendors (very few) send out pipes that are well cleaned and presented. A lot send pipes out in an "as found" condition, so be prepared to spend some time cleaning up the pipes to a smokeable state.

Hidiho

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
With eBay auctions I never bid until the last 8-6 seconds before the auction finishes...

Bidding early inflates the price and creates bidding wars but bidding at the end of the auction is where I win most of the auctions that I have bid on, trick is to put in a high amount at the very end as there is still a chance of being outbid in the final few seconds from another bidder, a bid at the closing end of the auction doesn't leave anytime to adjust your bid if your outbid, hence the reason to bid high in the final few seconds..

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you’re considering a vendor other than pipestud, great estates or treasure pipes, do your research. There are other good vendors but there are some chronically bad vendors on eBay who just wont go away.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Before I buy a pipe on ebay, I do my homework and I know what the pipes I like are worth. I have had my best luck on ebay by putting in the most I want to pay for a pipe a day or 2 earlier. I never snipe as that hasn't worked for me as well as my system and I never get into a bidding war. It is just a pipe, if I win great if I don't no big deal.

One time on pipesstuds page he had 2 pipes that I liked and both were brand new. A few days before the end of the auction I threw in 2 low ball bids of 297.00 for each pipe and these were 600.00 plus pipes. I never thought I would win one never mind two. One was a Bruce Weaver and the .other a Brian Ruthenberg Caliper grade. That was a good day and most unexpected.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
My advice for EBay purchases is to set your price and walk away if it goes for more. Unless it is a genuine "white whale" chances are that it will resurface.

This can't be said often enough. And I personally never spend an amount of money on eBay purchases that would hurt me finacially - at least not for purchases from unknown sellers.

Close look on images also helps!

Good luck though OP!

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
My .02

#1 Deal with a reputable seller. (Many have been mentioned above)
#2. Seek put pipe names/ manufacturers that are well known.
#3. Put in the price you're willing to pay up front then walk away & let the auction happen.

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’m a long time buyer and occasional seller on eBay. The have to be savvy on both counts.

The best deals to be had on pipes are from members on this forum - who often sell there pipes to fellow enthusiasts knowing they are going to a good home. There is also a great deal more accountability with members of this forum.

If we are after cheap and cheerful, or just searching for a particular pipe, there are thousands on eBay. Just be cautious. Know the value of what you are buying, and use sellers who offer returns.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I looked but couldn't find it. If someone tries to sell a pipe on Ebay and they put a minimum on it but is does NOT sell, do they still have to pay Ebay a fee?