PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ooo-la-la. We were going to do lamb stew, but the butcher failed us, so we'll have ribeye steak, which is nothing to cry about. I think we'll chill some sparkling wine. My wife can't drink much because of meds, so I can't figure out how we finish off the bottles we open. It may occur to me.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm in Switzerland! Although they grill a lot over here, I imagine doing something like this would cause them to call the animal protection agency or something :P

Actually, between me and my brothers we decided a few years back that besides the folklore and our childhood experiences, our charcoal "setup" was not doing the job, and convinced our dad to allows us to install something like the below. It takes time to get going, going from twigs to progressively larger pieces of wood, but when it is ready it keeps hot forever, and delivers meltingly good meat.

1650275730563.png

Not much fat or connective tissue on this lamb, hope the marinade helped keep it moist and soft.

I love a lamb curry once in a while, but as a Greek anything other than coal-roasted lamb in Easter (next week for us) is sacrilege!
I been cooking lamb for a good 25 years. I did not marinate this at all and it turned out perfectly tender. I always try to use a New Zealand leg in my curries. The key is to sear it it quickly in very hot olive oil and then cook on low heat and don't cook it too long. - oh...and I am not a Greek but I studied it - o filos estin allos autos

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm not familiar with NZ lamb, although you do find it in Greek supermarkets. For me it's ridiculous to buy lamb from basically as far as it gets on the planet when our local is incredible.

That's a thread I did last year: Prepping for Greek Easter :: Food & Drink - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/prepping-for-greek-easter.83831/

I prefer meats from older animals, mutton and 2+ year goat can be found relatively easily in Greece (now living in Switzerland, forget it, meat is absurdly expensive). But further still, I absolutely love meat from old male animals, like billy goat and ram, however these come from studs and you need to have a well-connected butcher who will take on preparing and aging it, otherwise it's inedible (similar to wild boar).

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
my goat and lamb as well as beef are raised by a family in the village and if I look out of my house window I can see the stable where they are unofficially slaughtered.
this week there will be a constant stream of people collecting their Easter meat.
Cant get much more local than that

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
my goat and lamb as well as beef are raised by a family in the village and if I look out of my house window I can see the stable where they are unofficially slaughtered.
this week there will be a constant stream of people collecting their Easter meat.
Cant get much more local than that
Probably very good, right? But the Greek obsession with "fresh" meat sounds like it's at play there too. Meat needs a minimum of a week hanging. My butcher in Athens, whom I trusted 100%, even refused - or recommended against - me buying a piece of meat as it was "too fresh". That's 100% respecting your client, he knows I like aged meat, and a piece slaughtered 2-3 days ago would taste too green for me, so he let it go to less discerning customers ;)

Reactions: paulfg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Probably very good, right? But the Greek obsession with "fresh" meat sounds like it's at play there too. Meat needs a minimum of a week hanging. My butcher in Athens, whom I trusted 100%, even refused - or recommended against - me buying a piece of meat as it was "too fresh". That's 100% respecting your client, he knows I like aged meat, and a piece slaughtered 2-3 days ago would taste too green for me, so he let it go to less discerning customers ;)
they do have walk in fridges and will keep meat for you,but yes a lot is sold very fresh.

Reactions: karam