PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SplitReaction

Lurker
Aug 12, 2021
Paris, TX
Welcome from Slidell, LA.

East Texas is a bigger than some states. I was born and raised (mostly) in Southeast Texas (Beaumont, Port Arthur area).

How close are you to Houston? They have one or two decent pipe & cigar shops in that area. Otherwise, online retailers may be your best source.

I grew up around Beaumont, but I just recently moved from around the Longview/Shreveport area up to Paris (between Sherman and Texarkana). It looks like the closest legit tobacconist is in Dallas itself. I plan to visit a few joints around Dallas when I can make a day of it, including one I saw online that has a lounging area and a billiards table.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Welcome from Wichita Falls via Virginia Beach. My people are from Wichita and Montague counties. I miss Texas but my kids were raised here, so here I will stay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Howdy, y'all! So I'm new to both the smoking game and the pipe game. Have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco (wouldn't have picked it up otherwise). I'm also fascinated with all things of a refined/old school nature in general. So, when my buddy asked me to try a cigar recently and I discovered how similar it is to pipe smoking, I knew I wanted to give it a shot.

I picked up this country gentleman online (from reviews here) and grabbed the Capt Black from a local store (they didn't have much that looked better outside of bulk) and tried my first bowl today. I'm trying to dry it out better because I did get a bit of tongue bite, tho not terrible. I'm still trying to learn retrohaling, and I'm also looking for advice on any brands common to East Texas I can find OTC.
Started out with Captain Black years ago. Yelp or google and see if there are any local B&ms in the area- not as many as there used to be! But I loved going there when I was starting out. Welcome!
JohnK from PA

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1628967855085.png

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: SplitReaction

SplitReaction

Lurker
Aug 12, 2021
Paris, TX
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

View attachment 92744

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Thanks! Will do.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Hey! Good job! Didn’t think anyone would bother answering that one. Did you know it or did you Google the lyrics?
The song popped up on Spotify recently. I remembered hearing the lyrics. Then I googled it to see if it was the same one.

Reactions: hawky454

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I grew up around Beaumont, but I just recently moved from around the Longview/Shreveport area up to Paris (between Sherman and Texarkana). It looks like the closest legit tobacconist is in Dallas itself. I plan to visit a few joints around Dallas when I can make a day of it, including one I saw online that has a lounging area and a billiards table.
There used to be a place in Shreveport that carried a selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. I think it was Smokers City. It's been a few years since I was up that way though.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m not far from you. NW Louisiana, Shreveport/Bossier area. Welcome!

There used to be a place in Shreveport that carried a selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. I think it was Smokers City. It's been a few years since I was up that way though.
M.A.’s Cigars in Shreveport has a good selection. The one in Bossier is only cigars though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The song popped up on Spotify recently. I remembered hearing the lyrics. Then I googled it to see if it was the same one.
It’s a catchy song. I was a big fan back in the day. The Promise Ring fell under the umbrella of “emo” music but I never thought of them as emo.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It’s a catchy song. I was a big fan back in the day. The Promise Ring fell under the umbrella of “emo” music but I never thought of them as emo.
I listen to just about every genre of music except rap and some of the crap that passes as music these days. Blues, Rock, pop, folk and country from the 50s through the 70s, hard rock and even some death metal. I vaguely remember the "emo" phase of music though I never jumped on the punk rock bandwagon and I think emo was tied into the punk scene.

One of my first thoughts when I read the lyrics was I thought it might have been from one of the Red Dirt country musicians like Robert Earle Keen or the Turnpike Troubadours.

Status
Not open for further replies.