PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SplitReaction

Lurker
Aug 12, 2021
Paris, TX
Howdy, y'all! So I'm new to both the smoking game and the pipe game. Have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco (wouldn't have picked it up otherwise). I'm also fascinated with all things of a refined/old school nature in general. So, when my buddy asked me to try a cigar recently and I discovered how similar it is to pipe smoking, I knew I wanted to give it a shot.

I picked up this country gentleman online (from reviews here) and grabbed the Capt Black from a local store (they didn't have much that looked better outside of bulk) and tried my first bowl today. I'm trying to dry it out better because I did get a bit of tongue bite, tho not terrible. I'm still trying to learn retrohaling, and I'm also looking for advice on any brands common to East Texas I can find OTC.

Attachments

• PXL_20210812_234526634.jpg
    PXL_20210812_234526634.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a friend who grew up in and around Nacogdoches whose family lived on mineral rights money and she eventually relocated here with her young husband. Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I know a few tales from Eastern Texas. She met Elvis before his musical career. She saw a wild boar drink up a pot of hot grease. And much more.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome from Slidell, LA.

East Texas is a bigger than some states. I was born and raised (mostly) in Southeast Texas (Beaumont, Port Arthur area).

How close are you to Houston? They have one or two decent pipe & cigar shops in that area. Otherwise, online retailers may be your best source.

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
Welcome from Maryland. I think your story is about the same as mine. Briar's are nice, but I'm glad I started with corncobs and capt. black/white. I used a rebate coupon to get my first pouch at a discount even!

Reactions: SplitReaction

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome from Central Texas!

What part of east Texas are you in? I always think of this song when east Texas comes up. “I don’t know East Texas from Louisiana”. Was a coming of age band I listened to back in the day and that part of the song always comes back to me. Another line that comes to me from that song… “I don’t know Billy Ocean, and don’t know the ocean floor”. Deep thoughts. ;)

Can anyone name the band? Haha.

Reactions: SplitReaction

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome from Central Texas!

What part of east Texas are you in? I always think of this song when east Texas comes up. “I don’t know East Texas from Louisiana”. Was a coming of age band I listened to back in the day and that part of the song always comes back to me. Another line that comes to me from that song… “I don’t know Billy Ocean, and don’t know the ocean floor”. Deep thoughts. ;)

Can anyone name the band? Haha.
The band's name was The Promise Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.