PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
EMP by a mile. It's just so damn smooth, and the retrohale is pure magic. I can see the appeal of Nightcap, but I found it a little rough around the edges. Plus, I detect a weird taste to it, almost like a quasi-metallic note or something (that's the best I can describe it). I prefer GLP Quiet Nights. YMMMV (Your Metallic Mileage May Vary)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Of the old Dunhill blends. before they changed blenders in the early 2000's, I always preferred Nightap, a much richer and flavorful blend with ample amounts of perique and latakia. I've never been a fan of Early Morning Pipe-- pretty bland IMHO. I've tried the new Peterson iteration of Nightcap but not Early Morning Pipe. Unfortunately, I've found the current Peterson version of Nightcap, to be a shadow of its former self. Among current blends, I've found GLP Samarra and Ashton Artisan's Blend more to my liking.
Been hearing good things about Artisans Blend gonna try that next for that Full English Feeling. Have a tin of Quiet Nights to try too I like the NC but it’s a lil skunky for my palate …

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
If you have GLP blends available I’d say Quiet Nights or Chelsea Morning. Inspired by the Dunhill/Pete blends but better done, IMO.

Or get EMP and Nightcap along with the Pease blends for a fun comparison of English style blends.
No access to GLP, C&D or any other American blends or blending houses.
I’m just trying to think if we have any American stuff.?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Of the old Dunhill blends. before they changed blenders in the early 2000's, I always preferred Nightap, a much richer and flavorful blend with ample amounts of perique and latakia. I've never been a fan of Early Morning Pipe-- pretty bland IMHO. I've tried the new Peterson iteration of Nightcap but not Early Morning Pipe. Unfortunately, I've found the current Peterson version of Nightcap, to be a shadow of its former self. Among current blends, I've found GLP Samarra and Ashton Artisan's Blend more to my liking.
Yeh, everything seemed to take a shift towards sh*t around the same period it seems.
I have no access to any Ashtons or GLP unfortunately- it’s Peterson/Dunhill, Gawith and Hoggarth, Sam Gawith or Germain’s. I might as well fly to the moon to get my tobacco if I’m relying on being able to buy any Germain’s, hence why they aren’t taking part in this discussion. ✌?

Reactions: Toast

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
But which do you prefer? Which one should I get first @telescopes? Or do I sack both of them off and go for Squadron Leader or, as has been suggested, My Mixture 965? ?
I have a tin of Squadron Leader jarred been meaning to check out , but if I was getting into English and it was between EMP and NC I would go with EMP as it’s just a good anytime smoke. NC though a staple I wouldn’t call it an anytime English , that’s just me. Royal Yacht is a Virginia ribbon cut mixture it is polarizing as I have heard it called Royal Yuck and Royal Yack. It’s easy enough to smoke and has a good Nic hit but there are so many great Virginias out there and so many palates to please. I don’t mind it but for Peterson‘s I really like Irish Flake it’s got Virginia Dark fired Kentucky and Burley , they make a Virginia flake just called Petersons Flake. But I actually prefer the Samuel Gawith stuff if you have easy access to that I’d start there.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Well, that didn’t pan out as expected.

I went into a small B&M on my way homethat has lots of loose Gawith and Hoggarth blends but very few tins. No Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe but they did have some Peterson’s Special Cut, Royal Yacht and…

382CE0E3-0791-4D71-803A-7B3547B309BD.jpeg

so I bought it. ?

Go in for a Latakia blend, come out with a tin of aromatic which isn’t bad at all really but is at the opposite end of the baccy spectrum entirely; I guess the NC or EMP will have to wait for another time the tobacco itch needs scratching.

On the plus side; I’ve got something new to try, I’ve put a few £’s into a small tobacconists and kept them going for another five minutes so not all bad. You never know, De Luxe Mixture might become my #1…I doubt it but you never know.

Attachments

• 8AF26166-6E5D-4A57-A5DD-6DCF73618A15.jpeg
    8AF26166-6E5D-4A57-A5DD-6DCF73618A15.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: vosBghos and JOHN72