PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Which one do you prefer and why?

I know this is subjective to each smoker, time of day, drink being paired with it, if Jupiter is in alignment with Mars etc etc but which do you prefer?

I know I’m going to end up buying both but which one should I buy first?

I’ve wandered through the Lakeland’s and now I’m going to try the English blends.

I’m open to other English blend suggestions - Squadron Leader, Royal Yacht? - so which one is the best for you?

Reactions: JOHN72

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
I recently picked up a tin of squadron leader and I love it. It’s very… campfire like? It’s woody and smoky, but with a really clean floral note that tends to fade a bit by the end. Sometimes I’ll mix a little pinch of an aromatic in as well. Overall though, it’s a nice, balanced entry tin for sure.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When the old stuff was available, Nightcap. A comparason? I just preferred Nightcap. I'd be hard pressed to tell you why as my palate isn't as discerning as some others. Probably the nicotine content. I haven't tried the Peterson branded stuff. I suppose I will, one of these days.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Which one do you prefer and why?

I know this is subjective to each smoker, time of day, drink being paired with it, if Jupiter is in alignment with Mars etc etc but which do you prefer?

I know I’m going to end up buying both but which one should I buy first?

I’ve wandered through the Lakeland’s and now I’m going to try the English blends.

I’m open to other English blend suggestions - Squadron Leader, Royal Yacht? - so which one is the best for you?
I like early morning haven't tried nightcap and although it's a light english I get more light then english from it.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nightcap is a Latakia lover's dream smoke. Rich, Balkany, and fills the air with smoke. It will put a real buss on you if you aren't careful. EMP is a quality smoke in its own right but not near the caliber of Nightcap IMO.
IMHO both Night Cap and Emp are superior to 965.

Reactions: Architeuthis

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I actually start my mornings with EMP and find that it has enough flavor and Nic to get started with the day and if I miss it I really miss it.

NC is great for them Nights when you really want flavor and Nic.
I find I really enjoy it paired with alcohol. So I might reach for it once a week.

Most chilly (sober) nights I’m smoking Super Balkan or Balkan Supreme if I want a bit mellower lighter flavor.

Thats all if I’m smoking english, on the regular I’m smoking Burley’s and VA/VaPer
horses of another color altogether …

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you have GLP blends available I’d say Quiet Nights or Chelsea Morning. Inspired by the Dunhill/Pete blends but better done, IMO.

Or get EMP and Nightcap along with the Pease blends for a fun comparison of English style blends.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Of the old Dunhill blends. before they changed blenders in the early 2000's, I always preferred Nightap, a much richer and flavorful blend with ample amounts of perique and latakia. I've never been a fan of Early Morning Pipe-- pretty bland IMHO. I've tried the new Peterson iteration of Nightcap but not Early Morning Pipe. Unfortunately, I've found the current Peterson version of Nightcap, to be a shadow of its former self. Among current blends, I've found GLP Samarra and Ashton Artisan's Blend more to my liking.