PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Occasionally I'll get a new arrival in the mail and proceed to clean it up immediately rather than put it off. This interesting early Drinkless got a thorough cleaning within minutes of coming through the door, specifically because I was eager to search for signs of a faded model stamp, which appears to be missing. The pipe has a push-stem with white clover logo, and an earlier Drinkless stinger without a patent 'reg.d' number. On one side of the shank the "AGED BRUYERE" stamp is clear, alongside the two-digit "05" shape code. The pipe resembles a Premier, except there is no sign of a clover insignia, 'Drinkless' or 'Premier' stamps on the side of the shank. Very close inspection revealed no trace of a stamp that might have worn off. Another thing that stood out is the very nice grain. The pipe has a 'forward-canted' straight grain that is quite lovely.

thumbnail_IMG_20210429_191213.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210429_191222.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210429_191226.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210429_191303.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210429_191324.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was a bit of luck that the shank had (at least) the 'aged bruyere ##' stamp, otherwise there'd be no proof the stummel belonged to the stem! :LOL:
Proof? No, but the mortises in these are pretty wide and deep to accommodate the large four hole stinger. I have a couple of these and the draw is pretty good. The patent you mention is for the synchrostem, IIRC.

Reactions: OzPiper