PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I enjoy the Jost's pipes made by Comoy and keep an eye out for them, although I don't yet own one. I came across this one and thought it was interesting and likely historically significant. The pipe itself seems to be clearly made by CPF as the shape and stem are the style they had that was reminiscent of Peterson, including the button device (similar to a 'P-lip'). The pipe has the CPF silver band with the well-documented faux hallmarks although this one is stamped "new silver." The pipe is stamped 'Jost' (not Jost's) and "imported briar" which suggests it was either re-sold by Jost or manufactured for Jost by CPF. I'm unsure when Jost began buying their pipes from Comoy but this raises the possibility that one of the earliest Jost pipes was manufactured in the United States for them by our beloved CPF (KB&B).
thumbnail_IMG_20210403_222651.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210403_222658.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210403_222726.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Am I correct in my assumption that "new silver" is NOT sterling silver but electroplated silver or perhaps nickel ?
My instinct is that this is not silver, no. I would have expected a certain sheen and patina on the band if it were real silver. I'm most accustomed to seeing nickel bands on this brand of pipe, and of course the hallmarks are utter horseshit. ;)

Reactions: OzPiper