PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All,

Just wondering if I should have any concern over the early chatter marks that are forming on this stem. The pipe is fairly heavy, so I imagine I'm clenching a bit more than usual, but I'm surprised to see such deep marks emerge so quickly. Does this have anything to do with the quality of the stem? Is there any danger of puncturing the stem if I continue to clench like this? Can these marks be removed by heat? FYI, the stem has already been sanded down quite a bit for ease of clenching.

Thanks for the help,
David

1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't know about concerned. But this is 1 of the reasons I don't clench. Saw the results of my early attempts to clench some 40 years ago and didn't like the visual results.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for the replies so far! I just held a lighter about an inch under the stem for about 30 seconds / a minute, and most of the marks came out, so I guess that answers that question. I guess my underlying question is if this has anything to do with the quality of the stem.

Also, I've tried softy bits and can't stand them :) I've also tried dangling rather than clenching, but I think I have extra difficulty since I have an underbite.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for the replies so far! I just held a lighter about an inch under the stem for about 30 seconds / a minute, and most of the marks came out, so I guess that answers that question. I guess my underlying question is if this has anything to do with the quality of the stem.

Also, I've tried softy bits and can't stand them :) I've also tried dangling rather than clenching, but I think I have extra difficulty since I have an underbite.
I fully understand your pain and as far as the stem material, Stanwell was and still is using very best vulcanite and acrylic materials available on the market, same here,I can't stand those softy bits too much either but where there is a need there is a way too, so I'd advise you -giving a try for non-adhesive vinyl tape or parafilm wraps, Hope this helps

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I fully understand your pain and as far as the stem material, Stanwell was and still is using very best vulcanite and acrylic materials available on the market, same here,I can't stand those softy bits too much either but where there is a need there is a way too, so I'd advise you -giving a try for non-adhesive vinyl tape or parafilm wraps, Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips! I've tried those as well but without great results. This is actually a RC Sands piece.

Reactions: BROBS