PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I look at SmokingPipes fresh pipes weekly but I only bought two pipes last year. In both cases, I waited a week to pull the trigger. I figured if it got bought by someone else first, they obviously needed it more than I did.

I've been concentrating on TAD and that has bit me on the order if 10lbs or so. Pipes will always be available in some form. Not so sure about my preferred fumigants.
You can get a bad case of the ‘TAD’ as well?! Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into? 😂

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Switch to TAD. Focus on your favorite blends and really exploring the market. Try to budget for one or 2 pipes a month.For me, i found my pipes started getting nicer and alot more thought put into what i was buying. Just my .02
I just wish you could get less than a 50g pouch for $50! That’s the going rate up here. I recently bought a pouch of highly recommended tobacco and can’t stand it. Any suggestions on finding new tobacco’s without such a big wallet hit?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
In order for something to become obsession, that individual has to be diligent. Lazy person like me, I'm surprised that I'm addicted to nicotine. I can't imagine I'll keep buying new pipes. As much as like new pipes, too much goes into looking for new Peterson that will catch my eyes. I mean there are definite 4 pipes I'm looking for, but I doubt it will show up anytime soon. If counting one vintage pipe, that's 5.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I just wish you could get less than a 50g pouch for $50! That’s the going rate up here. I recently bought a pouch of highly recommended tobacco and can’t stand it. Any suggestions on finding new tobacco’s without such a big wallet hit?
Spend a lot of time here: Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com. You will find a few reviewers that have a similar palate and can then buy based on their recommendations.

Reactions: Bassman65

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Spend a lot of time here: Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com. You will find a few reviewers that have a similar palate and can then buy based on their recommendations.
Thanks! I did read quite a few reviews and was super excited to try it. I guess with aromatics it can be more hit and miss? It’s the anise flavour that I really don’t like. Is there a variety of tobacco with this flavour note? Or is this just an additive? The flavour just hangs in my MM Cobbit Elf like a literal bad smell. Any suggestions on how to get rid of a residual taste from a con pipe?

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
In order for something to become obsession, that individual has to be diligent. Lazy person like me, I'm surprised that I'm addicted to nicotine. I can't imagine I'll keep buying new pipes. As much as like new pipes, too much goes into looking for new Peterson that will catch my eyes. I mean there are definite 4 pipes I'm looking for, but I doubt it will show up anytime soon. If counting one vintage pipe, that's 5.
I keep saying I’m done, but then I’m not. Got the Savinelli Clark’s and Ginger’s Favourites over Christmas. Now I’m eyeing the Bing’s favourite to complete the trio. Also just found the Merchant Service pipe website… argh!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Thanks! I did read quite a few reviews and was super excited to try it. I guess with aromatics it can be more hit and miss? It’s the anise flavour that I really don’t like. Is there a variety of tobacco with this flavour note? Or is this just an additive? The flavour just hangs in my MM Cobbit Elf like a literal bad smell. Any suggestions on how to get rid of a residual taste from a con pipe?
It's hit or miss. I don't like anise in any amount but there are blends where it is mostly undetectable. Many Burley flakes use it lightly along with other toppings but it won't ghost a pipe. It it frequently listed as a flavoring agent but you need to read reviews, manufacturer websites and other sources to determine what is used. @JimInks has a masterful palate so his reviews are informative on adulterants.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I look at SmokingPipes fresh pipes weekly but I only bought two pipes last year. In both cases, I waited a week to pull the trigger. I figured if it got bought by someone else first, they obviously needed it more than I did.

I've been concentrating on TAD and that has bit me on the order if 10lbs or so. Pipes will always be available in some form. Not so sure about my preferred fumigants.
I also look at SP's "fresh" pipes on a weekly basis and only bought 2 from them last week, plus several others through the year...😬

Perhaps I shouldn't look too often.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m trying to switch to this, hopefully, less expensive affliction! 😂

Just keep reminding yourself, price doesn’t always equate to a better smoker, and if I remember correctly I gave you a link to The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna?

I don’t recall if you mentioned how long you’ve been smoking, but if it’s been a short while, unless you have deep pockets, I’d give it a few years of smoking and educating, before spending big money on pipes.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Honestly, I have to stop buying pipes! Help! 😂😂😂😞
Good luck with that. I started a few years ago with a couple of Big Ben Barbados pipes, and it didn't take long before I ended up with 40-something pipes. I was a good boy for a couple years, and just fell off the PAD wagon again when I got a Wiebe Radiator stubby bent with a volcano bowl for Christmas...now I'm approaching 50-something pipes. Sigh...

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
In order to manage the PAD, I bought a good sized lot of estates last year. Whenever I get the hankering for a new pipe I go to the box, dig one out and clean it up..

As it turned out there are quite a few from Danish carvers that I never would have heard of, let alone smoked, otherwise. I’m about halfway through the box, a couple I’ve given away and a couple have become favorites in my rotation. At about $30 per pipe it was pretty much a bargain.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I found a cure for both PAD and TAD but wouldn't recommend it. Clinical Depression can affect a person in one of two ways. Being depressed, of course, or causing a person to become increasingly indifferent to things that once interested them. Lost all interest in pipes and pipe tobacco for years. Sold off most of my best pipes during this time. Interest came back a few months ago. Was really bummed when I found out so many blends I liked were gone. The funny part is I have a bunch of aged tobacco I can't bring myself to smoke because I found out what it is worth now.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I have a 50 pipe rack and 51 pipes, so I have eased up on buying more.
That and the current state of affairs has me investing more in copper and lead!
…and tobacco. I’m not convinced that 140 lbs is enough for a 165 lb 54 year old
Even though I haven’t actually smoked a pipe since July of 21.
Covid took my smell and taste. Have some taste but still no smell.
Machine made pipe tobacco cigars have kept me alive so far.
Or I need to build another rack…
Damn it! I’ve got enough wood left!
Such trying times we live in!