Dusted Off My Pipes a Bit Ago And Reintroducing Myself to The Wonderful World of Pipe Smoking

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Hi everyone, hope all are well. I am a middle aged person in the sunny state of Florida. Tampa area to be specific, who just started smoking pipes again. I have never been a big time pipe smoker in my life. I lived in Chicago for some time and can't remember how I started or why, but I smoked my first pipe probably 16 years ago or so. I purchased and still own about 5 pipes, one of which the stem is broken, I don't know how but will need to get a replacement. Its on my favorite straight pipe, an Aldo Velani.

A few weeks ago we went to spend some time in a cabin in the NC mountains, before the big Corona scare, and I figured would be fun to bring a pipe and some tobacco. Went and got some peaches and cream from a local shop here and had some bowls in my first pipe I ever purchased. Forgot how enjoyable smoking a pipe can be. When I got home, I started digging through my pipe stuff including a pipe tobacco jar where I found some old tobacco I have had, it is non aromatic and was dried out. I re-hydrated it and smoked it last night, and WOW!! It was amazing, probably better than I ever remember it being. I just wished I knew the name of the blend, sure it was a house blend at a very famous and very old Tobacconist shop in downtown Chicago. I have half a mind to call them up and see if can send my pipe to them and a few bowls for them to sample to see if they can figure out what blend it is.

Have read a few threads and cannot wait to delve into more.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Hi everyone, hope all are well. I am a middle aged person in the sunny state of Florida. Tampa area to be specific, who just started smoking pipes again. I have never been a big time pipe smoker in my life. I lived in Chicago for some time and can't remember how I started or why, but I smoked my first pipe probably 16 years ago or so. I purchased and still own about 5 pipes, one of which the stem is broken, I don't know how but will need to get a replacement. Its on my favorite straight pipe, an Aldo Velani.

A few weeks ago we went to spend some time in a cabin in the NC mountains, before the big Corona scare, and I figured would be fun to bring a pipe and some tobacco. Went and got some peaches and cream from a local shop here and had some bowls in my first pipe I ever purchased. Forgot how enjoyable smoking a pipe can be. When I got home, I started digging through my pipe stuff including a pipe tobacco jar where I found some old tobacco I have had, it is non aromatic and was dried out. I re-hydrated it and smoked it last night, and WOW!! It was amazing, probably better than I ever remember it being. I just wished I knew the name of the blend, sure it was a house blend at a very famous and very old Tobacconist shop in downtown Chicago. I have half a mind to call them up and see if can send my pipe to them and a few bowls for them to sample to see if they can figure out what blend it is.

Have read a few threads and cannot wait to delve into more.
Welcome back into the hobby! You might be able to simply call the B&M and describe the tobacco for them to identify it? Best of luck and happy piping.

Reactions: BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Welcome, and glad you came back around to the pipe! I'd definitely do as you suggested with sending some to the shop to see if they can tell what it is! That would be fun!

Reactions: gatorhazard

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Welcome back into the hobby! You might be able to simply call the B&M and describe the tobacco for them to identify it? Best of luck and happy piping.
I am going to start there, probably today and see what they say.

Welcome, and glad you came back around to the pipe! I'd definitely do as you suggested with sending some to the shop to see if they can tell what it is! That would be fun!

I think so too, probably call them and describe as best I can but I remember they had so many tobaccos and pipes, (the shop truly is amazing) that I am pretty sure I am just going to have to send them a few samples to test. I am hoping they can get me a suitable replacement stem as well for my pipe. In the meantime I guess I will just have to go to a local shop and pick out a few new tobaccos to try. Maybe can find something close on my own.

I will keep you all posted on the findings.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Thank you everyone for the welcome wishes. I read a few threads over the weekend and am enjoying the site. I did not yet get a chance to call the tobacconist but I did get an opportunity to visit a brick and mortar here and brought a sample. A gentlemen behind the counter was able to get me a tobacco to try and I bought some. I took it home and smoked it this weekend and it is very close and so may not be a need to go to those lengths to get the tobacco. Still need to get a replacement stem that fits the pipe though.

I smoked several bowls over the weekend and barely got any tongue bite. I remember a trick I had heard previously which was to lift your tongue up out of the way and not let the smoke hit it. I tried the breathe method I have seen discussed on here as well. Its pretty cool, except for the times when it draws some smoke into my lungs and makes me cough like crazy. May not be worth it to me to keep using that method as don't want to inhale.

Now that I know the blend I like is an English blend, thinking of picking up some tins of other types of tobacco to try that I may enjoy. Open to suggestions. Hope all had a good weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.