PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I’m sitting on my deck happily smoking a bowl of Durbar in a peterson lovat notwithstanding the 40 degree weather.

Been smoking a pipe for about a year now and have 20 or so tins opened and jarred that i randomly sample from. Vas, VaPers, aromatics and a number of english blends. Its taken a while to appreciate the nuances and im still learning but i decides tonight Durbar is one of my favorites. I like the incense like quality but it isnt heavy or overpowering and it smokes and behaves oh so well.

My english rotation includes father dempsey, presbyterian, nat sherman 536, dunill babys bottom, old gowrie, and plum pudding (although i that one is so distinct i dont know it it is really an english or not).
Any other tobaccos similar to durbar worth sampling?

It took me a little time to appreciate the nuances of Durbar. By that time it was gone.

Some say C&D Rajah’s Court is a similar blend. I have a tin in my cellar but not tried it yet.

See the discussion below

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Did Durbar not make the cut for the Peterson reboot? Have to confess I haven’t tried any but it seems from what I’ve read most of the popular blends returned other than maybe Dark Flakes and a few others maybe.

Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any other tobaccos similar to durbar worth sampling?
John Cotton No.1, King Charles, and Star of the East Gold.

Did Durbar not make the cut for the Peterson reboot? Have to confess I haven’t tried any but it seems from what I’ve read most of the popular blends returned other than maybe Dark Flakes and a few others maybe.
Tried this?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
McConnell Oriental is good quality for sure, but there are not a lot of available top-shelf orientals - King Charles is another that's great but I haven't seen a tin for sale for years.

I've been seeking a Durbar replacement myself, and I haven't hit anything with the incense/perfume quite as strong, but I've been enjoying GL Pease "Kensington" - it's not super strong, just sweet enough, a bit hit of turkish (which is doing the heavy lifting in Durbar). It's worth a try. Presbyterian is sweeter and probably smokier/deeper. I got into Durbar late in my piping life, and I wish I'd stockpiled more. It's quite unique.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I hear tell that King Charles was part of an Esoterica/Germain drop earlier this week. Apparently, it lasted but a nanosecond.

I too am on the hunt for a Durbar replacement, having only realized recently that it's my favorite everything. Rajah's Court is close but lacks sufficient latakia, I think. I'm contemplating getting some blending latakia to toss in to see if it gets closer to Durbar. Presbyterian is not an obvious replacement for me; it's just too different and lighter in every respects.

I have yet to try McConnell Oriental and Oriental Square.

My previous favorite everything was Ferndown Black & Tan, which I last smoked the previous decade. It gets more and more delicious with each passing year.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I never got a chance to try Durbar. A shame as it sounds like the kind off blend I'd really like these days. Maybe if the current crop of Peterson Dunhills do well and/or there is suficcient demand, it will be resurrected.

I cannot compare it to Durbar, but I really like Kensington an awful lot, myself. It is like the ideal medium Latakia-Oriental blend for me. Charing Cross is supposed to be similar, but a bit fuller then Kensington. Haven't had it, though

Reactions: rushx9

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
The only thing GLP has that kinda compares to Durbar would be Ashbury, imho. Durbar is one of a kind and I really hope Peterson brings it back in the near future.

William Serad of Pipes And Tobaccos magazine is quoted as saying "Dunhill could have built a blending reputation on this alone, friends, because it has it all".
I tend to agree.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Durbar is my current favorite tobacco. It's my go to wake up smoke/coffee combo. I actually prefer Presbyterian in the warmer months but from fall to late spring it's Durbar. I only have 2 and a half tins left so I started looking for replacements a few months ago. I have a tin of Rajah's Court but I don't plan on opening it for a while. I've found GLP Charing Cross to be the closest I've tried yet. There's a bit more mature VA presence in CC but there's a similar turkish spiciness and lat level.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Funny that you mention Presybterian bc that is my second favorite English. I need to get some more of that. I actually haven't tried an English blend that I don't like, other than Old Gowrie but I only had one bowl of that and need to give it another try. I will try Charing Cross and the Robert Mconnel Blend.

I have two tins of Durbar stashed away and at the rate I smoke and the variety of my rotation that should last me some time. Also have London mixture, my mixture 965 and more baby's bottom in my small "cellar" and have two tins of Squadron Leader on the way so plenty of English blends to keep me busy.

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Durbar is my current favorite tobacco. It's my go to wake up smoke/coffee combo. I actually prefer Presbyterian in the warmer months but from fall to late spring it's Durbar. I only have 2 and a half tins left so I started looking for replacements a few months ago. I have a tin of Rajah's Court but I don't plan on opening it for a while. I've found GLP Charing Cross to be the closest I've tried yet. There's a bit more mature VA presence in CC but there's a similar turkish spiciness and lat level.

Charing Cross is a good suggestion. Maybe my top favorite “Balkan”. It’s a little more complex than Durbar, if anything. Both are so good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a well-aged tin of Durbar for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to it. Posted about it earlier. I'm glad to hear some folks enjoy it quite a bit. It sounds good. I don't think Peterson is blending it yet, but perhaps they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.