PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Just purchased a new S T DuPont Ligne2 with a pipe burner and I can't get it to light. It's filled with DuPont fuel and I'm getting good spark, takes multiple strokes to light, sometimes 10+. Is there some trick to this or is it time to return for warranty adjustment? It lights readily if I bring a flame near the burner.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
If I have to strike a lighter multiple times I either flip the flint or put a new flint in. I've found when they get rounded by the wheel they don't throw strong sparks and a fresh edge does the trick. Just to be on the safe side I'd report the issue anyway. 8O

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Mine light 99% of the time on the first try, if not, it's time for a new flint. Older ligne 1's though...

I'd return it. :?

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
As above check the flint first. They get burnished. On all my flint lighters this tends to happen. Sometimes I just wiggle the flint a little to catch a fresh edge. Some flints are softer and more prone to this happening.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
C'mon guys, absorb the details that Capt. Pat wrote. The lighter is NEW. He's GETTING GOOD SPARK, so it's not a flint problem. I'd call whomever sold you the lighter and ask for an exchange.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Jiggling the flint takes two seconds. A bad flint will throw sparks but not light. You can also test the burner with another source of flame. If it lights and burns clean and steady, it's probably the flint. But yes a DuPont should be perfect.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Well I changed the flint and now it works, first time every time. -- thanks everyone. The original flint seemed to be throwing off good spark.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Glad you figured it out. I have always used DuPont flints on all of my Duponts. I use only IM Corona Flints on my Old Boys and Pipemasters. I once tried Zippo flints and they are garbage. They get misshapen after only a few lights and are softer than jello. I might try using an IM Corona flint on one of my DuPonts just to see how that works.
I need to put a pipe nozzle on one of my Duponts, does anyone have experience doing this?

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Yes Harris - you can get them on eBay occasionally and they just screw in using needle nose pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.