PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy! I look forward to this one. I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate the advance notice, so I can be ready for this good blend.

Reactions: BROBS and 3rdguy

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I like the currently available Balkan Sasieni a bit more than the the recently unavailable Durbar. To me, Durbar is a bit “flatter”, or maybe just smoothly blended(and very good!), and Sasieni a bit more Oriental forward and “sharper” than Durbar. I have no history with the older Sobrani or older Durbar... But, as they say, no accounting for personal tastes - mine included. I say open that tin sooner than later and enjoy. It’s a good one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister, who bought me the Christmas Durbar, went back to thank the shop owner who sold it to her. Here's what she wrote:

I stopped in at the tobacco store and thanked the guy for recommending Durbar and told him you liked it, and about your stories, the pipe chat group etc. He seemed pretty pleased that his recommendation had connected with someone who could appreciate it and shook my hand by way of saying thanks. I started by saying I didn't know if he'd remember me but last month ... and he said yes I remember, I recommended Durbar. So it was a nice exchange. He's an Indian or Pakistani guy, always alone in there except for the occasional person buying a lotto ticket. Always very formal and polite.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I've got an old cutter-top of Durbar. I'm waiting for my sense of smell to return to open it. The humidity around these parts is very very low.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My sister, who bought me the Christmas Durbar, went back to thank the shop owner who sold it to her. Here's what she wrote:

I stopped in at the tobacco store and thanked the guy for recommending Durbar and told him you liked it, and about your stories, the pipe chat group etc. He seemed pretty pleased that his recommendation had connected with someone who could appreciate it and shook my hand by way of saying thanks. I started by saying I didn't know if he'd remember me but last month ... and he said yes I remember, I recommended Durbar. So it was a nice exchange. He's an Indian or Pakistani guy, always alone in there except for the occasional person buying a lotto ticket. Always very formal and polite.
where is she from?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The shop where my sister bought the Durbar is in Park Ridge, a near northwest suburb of Chicago. Park Ridge used to have a first rate pipe shop with a resident pipe carver shop owner, but that closed decades ago. We both grew up there, but she lives elsewhere in the area now. The shop mentioned is a cigar and gift shop that -- as we see -- also sells lotto tickets.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Durbar is my favorite Dunhill. Very incensed and oriental forward. I have enjoyed a couple of tins with a couple of years on them. It reminded me of Margate. I purchased a Murray era tin from 2000 a couple years ago but have not opened it yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am smoking down a blend or two, so Durbar is next up to opened. I'm really looking forward to it. This is a Dunhill tin, and it looks to be at least a few years old, I'd guess more like four or five. Should be nicely aged.

Status
Not open for further replies.