PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That the Dunhill blends are going away within 12-18 months is sad enough, but after the re-release of this delicious Virginia mixture, it is doubly lugubrious. You might describe this as "Elizabethan Mixture" all grown up with a heavy press turning those bright Virginias into dark, rich ones. The dominant taste here is the hybrid of molasses and late season grain that gives the pressed Virginias, like "Full Virginia Flake," their beauty. But this mixture is a hybrid between the classic Virginia flakes and the smoked tobaccos that have become popular since then. While it does not appear on the Official Description, "Ye Olde Signe" seems to contain some Dark Fired leaf and some Burley, possibly one and the same, and only as condimental. The rest is what "Elizabethan Mixture" and "Royal Yacht" do best, which is high quality Virginias matured to potency and maximum flavor. You can draw gently -- puffing is NOT encouraged -- on this blend for hours, getting that honey-molasses-oatmeal flavor in full intensity, with just a tinge of the richness of the smoked flavor. It satisfies throughout the bowl, and makes me think that radical insurgent action to save the Dunhill blends might be a moderate rather than extremist position!
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10844#review93404
This stuff is pretty darn cool. Halfway between the strong Virginias, Virginia flakes, and dark fired flavored Virginias. I hope Dunhill doesn't go away.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Great blend, I always thought of it as right between Elizabethan Mixture and Royal Yacht on the Dunhill Virginia ladder

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Ye Olde Signe did not excite me. There are cheaper decent-but-forgettable blends out there, and some of them are not riding off into the sunset.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I have a tin of this sitting from last year...time to visit her perhaps, thanks for the review

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Left no great impression on me. The cut is finer than I prefer and something about it was a bit 'cigaretty'. There was some nice flavour along the way, but nothing really stood out to me.
Isaac

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wish I had a few more stashed in the cellar. As of today, the tin is RIP and a small but significant sense of loss occurs.
I sympathize with those who dislike the thin-cut tobacco. With this blend, it did not cause any issues; with Elizabethan Mixture, I felt it was more of an issue, but I still love that blend anyway.
I am just saving up all my cash to order a palette of Dunhill tobaccos before they go RIP to the nu-globalist market, or whatever the heck is happening.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I am trying to control that urge to horde as much as possible as well, I have quite a few in the cellar already.. Dunhill blends have been my favorite, I love Elizabethan, and Ye olde signe. It's funny because the B&M by my house still doesn't seem to believe me that this is going to happen. They say they want definitive proof. :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Every now and then I capture a faint scent of... maple syrup... from this blend.
I think it's natural sugars, but still, exceptional!
Clearly Dunhill will need to be resurrected. There's all of us out here, watching our civilization implode, with nothing to live for but Dunhill tobaccos and Netflix.
Help us, Obi Wan, help us...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
DF is monochromatic? Oh blast. I have been spoiled by Ye Old Signe. It's like Elizabethan Mixture all growth up, advised by its drunk uncle Royal Yacht. Still, it makes me want to explore more blends of this nature...

Status
Not open for further replies.