PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You guys have burned the White Spot of Dunhill, you have poked the eye of the sleeping monster, now it is time to pay for it. Curse is upon us.

Kidding aside, it is an interesting thread and we (mods) don't want to close it. So let's keep it clean.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Ok............. I have now moved into 100% convinced territory!
The spots were always "Imitation Ivory", as indicated in the actual court documents from 1922, when Alfred was trying to secure exlusive rights to the white dot.........
Here's the indisputable truth, in written form.......... the Gospel, so to speak..........
My hat's off to George, and Rob, I am an enlightened man....... :worship:
Now I'll say it: Case Closed"
Scroll down to page 435, lines 25-35, if you don't want to read the whole document..........
Dunhill Court Case, 1922

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Fireworks and crazy aside, this is a really interesting thread.
If there's actually no physical or documentary evidence --anywhere -- that the white spot was ever made of ivory, then (as George noted) the burden of proof flips. Is there any evidence that the dots were ivory? Other than folklore?
Still, a couple of caveats I'll add...
Folklore isn't always merely myth and nonsense -- that's why it's worth trying to find out whether there is any evidence that the spots were ever made of ivory. The idea that they were is so prevalent that it's at least worth considering why that is the case. Maybe the idea arose just from the appearance of the dots. That certainly seems plausible and likely.
Archives are often incomplete. I don't distrust the archivist (why would I?), but generally speaking it's helpful to know exactly what kind of evidence an archivist is citing/drawing from in drawing conclusions. I do a fair amount of archival research and I've had archivists look a 2nd or 3rd time for something they insisted wasn't there, but actually was. I'm not suggesting that's directly relevant here, but "The archivist says...!" isn't as definitive as you might think.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well done, Beefeater!
wP6ewJj.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great job Beef! :clap:
Now...altogether everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmALA8miQY8

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Are you suggesting the "black dot" Dunhills had an ebony dot?
All I can tell you is, I heard that from a guy.
But I can also tell you this...for just $15.99 this beautiful Ebony Wood Pipe can be yours now!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/567994585/handcrafted-ebony-wood-pipe-approx-9?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ebony wood pipe&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes let's remember what this thread was about. It's not about Georged, it's not about Cosmic, it's about the white dot things.
Let's keep talking about the white dot things.
I would continue the conversation myself, but have nothing intelligent to say, as I've never owned one. 8O

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just sat down to my breakfast while the kiddies are asleep and read through this whole thread, and what a great thread it was. My wife teaches in a high school, but I feel like I got all the teenage drama this morning.
Again, great detective work by George.
costanza-clap.gif

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've been involved in MANY different hobbies over the years. It continues to amaze me how similar the underlying issues are and how similar people act regardless of the type of hobby.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very interesting!
Barling folks note:
In 1917 one Barling put some pipes on the market; with a white spot upon them end the Plaintiff commenced proceedings. The action would have been tried in March 1918, when conditions owing to the war were very difficult, and the Plaintiff accordingly served notice of discontinuance. 'I'his was the first challenge to the Plaintiff and has not been pleaded in the present action as one of the prior users.
In March 1920 the Plaintiff was again challenged by a firm of Wolf Brothers, who issued, and claimed the right to issue, pipes with a silver spot upon, the side of the mouthpiece. In their advertisements in the trade papers they drew attention to the spot in such terms as " our brightest spot,." Proceedings were commenced but after an attempt to prove prior user of white spots by other people, the Defendants consented to judgment for the injunction claimed and full relief with costs.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
This thread has been a bit of a wild ride so far. I love it.
George you’ve gone above and beyond to prove your point, and I agree with everything you’ve said. Unfortunately there will always be people that won’t accept the truth no matter what evidence is presented to them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Someone should tell secondhandsmoker on ebay the dots are not Ivory. He has a thing claiming they are on most of his Dunhill auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-24-SHELL-PATENT-1924/372212306930?hash=item56a99513f2:g:HFQAAOSwtBdadPf1

Status
Not open for further replies.