PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew that revenue stream wouldn't go untapped, but I had no idea it would be so convoluted. Oh well. Glad to see the tin art has somehow been carried along, at least for starters. This would never make a novel for being too laborious to read. It's interesting to watch it unfold in drab reality. So long as I don't have to read the legal contractual paperwork.

May 4, 2015
I knew that revenue stream wouldn't go untapped, but I had no idea it would be so convoluted. Oh well. Glad to see the tin art has somehow been carried along, at least for starters.
Word on the internet street is, this is a doctored photo from reddit. After searching, I haven't found corroboration that they'll be Peterson-branded (though, it seems plenty feasible), the tin art will remain the same, or the specific list of blends.
I hope it to be true, as it would make a lot of smokers happy, but even on the actual STG press release on their site, none of this information is indicated.
If anyone has further info, other than the screenshots, I would be happy to see it!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Word on the internet street is, this is a doctored photo from reddit.
A falsehood emanating out of reddit? Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Word on the internet street...
The internet is essentially a very convoluted digital alimentary canal.
When the stuff shows up on shelves, you'll know it happened.

May 4, 2015
When the stuff shows up on shelves, you'll know it happened.
Correct, as usual. I know something will be coming out of STG in the way of Dunhill-blend (re-re-blend...) re-issues. I was just curious if anyone had a lead on where this Peterson stuff came from. Like I said - it makes sense. Can't believe just yet that this wasn't someone just having a bit of photoshop fun, though.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Good Info and thanks!

Elizabethan Mixture, very yummy! Still glad I saw the writing on the wall and got me a whole bunch of Frog Morton!
Dan

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
hawky454.. I saw where a lot of them will be reborn, but not Flake.

Where did you see that?

Not doubting you just hoping. That was my fav.

Still trying to find something like it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Heavens to Murgatroyd
heavens-to-murgatroyd.jpg

Nice flashback, Sable. Thanks!
:rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
Very Happy. Light Flake, Dark Flake, Royal Yack, London Mixture, Nightcap were my day's smokes.
965 is a bit light for me (prefer the stiffer London Mixture, which got me into pipe smoking and has been my favorite English). But, STG is bringing out a big 4 out of 5. 3 cheers!

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Regarding FDA and deeming regulations...

If they're indeed the same blends, they would unambiguously fall under the umbrella of "Substantial Equivalence" and be exempted from testing requirements, would they not? Or is that just for cigars?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some of us predicted this would happen.

I now posit that these "STG-Peterson-Dunhill" blends will NOT disappear a year from now. Either STG has figured out a way to get around the deeming costs, or is prepared to eat them having sharp pencilled the cost versus future profit.
Probably this. It's not like the FDA fees are that large, evidently around $3000 per blend. Once they've sold a couple of thousand tins per blend that cost will go away. Or, they may decide to do what others are doing and focus on the Asian market.
Ah, $3K per blend! That's way better than the many tens of thousands of dollars mentioned some time ago. Makes it only onerous, not stifling.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If they're indeed the same blends, they would unambiguously fall under the umbrella of "Substantial Equivalence" and be exempted from testing requirements, would they not?
They would not, because they left the US market in 2008 after they lost their US distributor. To be grandfathered in, a blend has to be continuously available in the US market since before February 15, 2007.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
They would not, because they left the US market in 2008 after they lost their US distributor. To be grandfathered in, a blend has to be continuously available in the US market since before February 15, 2007.

Do STG's "Match" blends make any difference?

P

pipebuddy

I hope they will be available soon.

And I hope they will be priced as the other Peterson offerings.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I was never a fan of Dunhill blends but I'm very happy it turned out well for all those who appreciated it. We as pipe smokers deserve some little victories like this one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hang on a tad, folks: It's not certain that the Dunhill blends will be under the Peterson name. Likely perhaps, but I found out yesterday from the company that it was undecided. I hope no one loses sleep over this important detail....

Status
Not open for further replies.