PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
I've been following the threads about Dunhill getting out of the pipe tobacco market and have seen several comments to the effect of, eh, there's better things out there, so my question is what? I'm not too concerned with the lat blends I already have several that I like as much or more than the Dunhill lat's.

My question is what is a good substitute for the Dunhill Flake? This is a blend that I really like.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Upon further reflection, my comment was more snark than actual confidence there is anything better than the Dunhill blends I have grown to love. As one of the masters of bad timing, it looks like I picked the wrong decade to switch to pipe smoking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmW-ScmGRMA

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think Capstan Flake Yellow is similar, but not as good and more expensive. I think Dunhill Flake is excellent and I am yet to find another blend that would serve as an actual substitute. That's the only one I will be stocking up on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was happy with Granger for about fifty years and only bought a new pipe when the old one burnt out, so although I revel in our golden age of blends, I think I can be happy even with limitations. Although I'll never be happy about the limitations.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Everything and anything makes for a Dunhill tobacco substitute.

They do make a fine smoking vessel.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Capstan is close to the Dunhill Flake, but Dunhill is a bit richer and darker tasting to me. As far as my experience goes, though, Capstan Blue is the closest I've tried.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Haha yeah that's not the ideal option. Hopefully someone here will know of a better recommendation...as long as there is one!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just off the top of my head, I think Sam Gawith Medium Va Flake would make an acceptable substitute for Dunhill Flake.

I think few smokers could consistently distinguish between Deluxe Navy rolls and Escudo in blind taste tests.

Pipes and Cigars markets a very respectable match to Elizabethan; so, it wouldn't surprise me if the other Dunhill match blends do an acceptable job as well. (They all get 4 or more stars from reviewers at the P&C website.)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@mayfair70
Let's not lose our heads over this!
Even if the wide variety of blends available today were to be reduced significantly and we were subject to smoke the codger blends of our day, we'd all survive. I recently read a post on these forums that Quebec Canada, an otherwise tolerant province, has essentially reduced the pipe tobacco blend options to just a few by banning flavored tobacco of any sort. Sadly this injustice may proliferate exponentially across the globe, however some of our own forum members have taken to home growing, curing and blending some very respectable smoke. If the legislators take away my freedom of choice, I will do the same. Through this community we have the power to share information, enabling us to become independent master blenders with each of us creating our unique blends suited to our specific tastes. The possibilities are limited only by our imagination!

Status
Not open for further replies.