PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Hello all,

Can anyone point me towards information, even a shape chart, on the early Dunhills? I'm talking specifically about shapes 1-30. I've looked on Pipedia, but may have missed something in a corner of that growing site.

Many thanks in advance!

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I appreciate your answer, thanks, but doesn't that chart apply to the last two digits of the modern four-digit system? I'm hoping to find information, if any is available, on the shapes that were roughly pre-1921.

Loring writes:
“...the 30 pipe shapes made for Dunhill beginning in 1907 by Nathan's and sold by Dunhill until Dunhill began making its own pipes. Once Dunhill began to make its own pipes it ceased offering shapes #s 1 - 30” (Loring’s errata for Hacker). “These third party made pipes initially carried in the Duke Street shop in 1907 were given shape numbers running from 1 through 30” (Loring, 2-3).

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Insofar as I know, the 1914 Christmas catalogue, "Things the Soldiers are Asking For!" (reproduced in a miniature format by Briar Books Press as a supplement to the reprint of the Christmas 1923 "gift edition" of "About Smoke"), is about as early a source of illustrations for Dunhill pipes as most of us have seen.

The pipe chart it contains of "Alfred Dunhill's Standard Shapes" is tiny (2" by 3"). But even it only starts with shape 31.

The only hint of what the original shapes might have looked like that I know of were the small 1985 "75th Anniversary Duke Street S.W." limited edition models with silver bands made for collectors which turn up occasionally for sale (at sobering prices) on EBay and elsewhere. How accurately these recreate the earliest Dunhills is probably anybody's guess.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This thread made me think of a couple pipes I worked on several years ago---a shape 10 and a shape 24---and took pics of at the time.

They are already hosted at the pipemakers forum site, so will do my part to save the environment by just giving you the links. (Fewer digitals needing to be pushed through wires = less fossil fuel burned in some powerplant's generators, right? Am I a good global citizen, or what?)

A certain bovine consumer on this board might or might not have more information about these pipes, btw. Just sayin'.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Who was Nathan's? I'm assuming it wasn't the Coney Island hotdog stand.

This guy: Alfred Jerrod Nathan, Tobacconist - Maybe? :: British Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/alfred-jerrod-nathan-tobacconist-maybe.38247/#post-35321229.

Of course Nathan could have sold hot dogs too (he apparently sold damn near everything else), but on the whole bangers seem more likely.

As for the first thirty Dunhills, my guess is that the pipes themselves in their earliest incarnation very probably had silverwork given the period involved (as we see with the 75th anniversary models guylesss showed) and that while the numbers were certainly used for reference when ordering it would have been unusual at that time for them to be stamped on the briar.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
This thread made me think of a couple pipes I worked on several years ago---a shape 10 and a shape 24---and took pics of at the time.

They are already hosted at the pipemakers forum site, so will do my part to save the environment by just giving you the links. (Fewer digitals needing to be pushed through wires = less fossil fuel burned in some powerplant's generators, right? Am I a good global citizen, or what?)

A certain bovine consumer on this board might or might not have more information about these pipes, btw. Just sayin'.

I have a 10 too George (does that make it a 102?); it’s a beatiful pipe. But though logic suggests that the original 30 numbers would have represented the same shape in 1909 and the 1920s I wouldn’t bet on it either way. Screwy things happen in factories all the time.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Wow! great restorations George.
That shape 24 is a gnarly old bulldog for sure, what a beauty.
Love the gnarly shapes of the early shell Dunhills. I have a small approx. Group 2 size pot shape from the same time period that has a very asymmetrical bowl with a quite noticeable indentation on one side which (aside from adding character) make a perfect thumb rest! It's my understanding that pipes like these would have been weeded out by Dunhill's Quality Control starting in the early 1930's, but can be found among their earlier pipes. My pipe also has a "24" on it, but it is my understanding that this likely refers to the size of the innertube (no longer present in my pipe) rather than to its shape. Maybe someone else here more versed in Dunhill markings can comment.

dunhill bowl.jpgdunhill markings.jpg

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
This is becoming even more interesting. The late dates of the pipes George worked on seem to provide clear evidence that Loring was a bit arbitrary in writing "Once Dunhill began to make its own pipes it ceased offering shapes #s 1 - 30."

MCJ, thanks for the link to Pipephil. Here is the pertinent bit for me:
1666204890953.png
I, too, now have a no. 4, and am more at sea than ever. Is it truly a "shape 4", is it an Arabic numeric rendering of "IV"? Is it a mistake on the part of a tired stamper? The patent numbers seem to mandate a date for mine of 1918-21, but there's no date code.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Loring was a pioneer. It's fashionable to knock Hacker, for example, for his errors. But pioneers are the guys who get there first and show the way for everyone who follows. If Loring made mistakes that just means he was earlier than today's experts, who are now making mistakes that the future will reveal in turn.

Exactly this ^^^^

Something else to consider is that today's MondoMegaEverywhereSuperWeb was much smaller when Loring started info gathering, and didn't exist at all when Hacker started writing his pipe books.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Fair enough, I certainly appreciate Loring's unique work, both for its uniqueness and the circumstances under which he researched it.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
This is becoming even more interesting. The late dates of the pipes George worked on seem to provide clear evidence that Loring was a bit arbitrary in writing "Once Dunhill began to make its own pipes it ceased offering shapes #s 1 - 30."

View attachment 176054
I, too, now have a no. 4, and am more at sea than ever. Is it truly a "shape 4", is it an Arabic numeric rendering of "IV"? Is it a mistake on the part of a tired stamper? The patent numbers seem to mandate a date for mine of 1918-21, but there's no date code.
It is a brave man--indeed one far braver than I--to suggest anything that John Loring wrote about pre-war Dunhill might have been "a bit arbitrary." Not only was John meticulous and methodical, my own sense was that he was absolutely delighted when anyone brought a new piece of the grand puzzle to his attention--a mistamped pipe, a curiosity of nomenclature, a symbol never or seldom seen. And he was extraordinarily open about both "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns."

As for stray numbers stamped on early pipes in general--insofar as I know nobody has yet produced a single 1920s shell pipe with a roman numeral stamped on it.

If you read the catalogue prose of early editions of About Smoke with some care, I believe the most plausible interpretation of their initial marketing idea for shell pipes was that each was going to be totally unique--unlike smooth pipes--and shape numbers were not really relevant. The use of roman numerals in the catalogue was to offer a few particularly handsome but representative examples of what a customer might request--either in person at one of Dunhill shops or by mail order (something they clearly took great pride in, and went to ridiculous lengths to offer individualized service). And at least my interpretation is that they used roman numerals so that they would not be confused with shape numbers.

As is so often the case (at least in my own experience as a copywriter for ultra luxury brands a good deal more recently) there may well have been a fair amount lost in translation between what happened on the factory floor, who said what to whom in dealing with customers at Dunhill retail stores, and what the people writing a catalogue a season or two in advance of the launch of future or recently introduced products, regarding what they or their bosses knew or hoped would be the case.

My own theory is that nobody ever took the "totally unique" concept very seriously. And it was given up early in favor of the sort of language we use today--referring say, to an unusually craggy shell "56" or "120" or "LB." Or to those with fairly shallow blasts (which accordingly in the case of the latter conform very closely to specific shape numbers). This presumably reflecting what I infer must have been the factory's standard practice in how shell pipes were actually made--with raw stummels cut in one or another of Dunhills standard shapes.

As for stray arabic numbers on 1920s and pre-1920s pipes. There is plenty of room to speculate. My impression is that a fair number of us believe that in many cases they refer to the size of the specific innetube you were meant to order when the original one needed replacing.

As for whether any of the arabic numbers seen on early shell pipes denote shape numbers, again, my impression is the jury's still deliberating. And yes, to the original poster, if someone could produce a 1910 Dunhill pipe chart, that really would answer a lot of our questions.

But Loring--very much in the thick of it 25 years ago, with unrivaled access to Dunhill records, at a time when Dunhill still had a full time professional archivist, and one infers, when a certain number of very senior factory workers were still alive to talk about what wasn't part of the official story--doesn't seem to have located one.

If he had I'd have thought it would have been included in either his Briar Pipe booklet or one of his multi-volume xerox compilations of catalogues. I have to admit I've lusted after a pdf of the latter for as long as I can remember, but I've never met anyone who owns all the volumes. And the few times I've seen a complete set for sale, the price has been well beyond my means.

Apologies to all for rattling on at such length.

Last edited:

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut

View attachment 176054
Glad that the link proved to be of some help to you. Trying to decipher the mysteries of early Dunhill markings (or often lack thereof) can be quite a challenge sometimes!

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Again to return to the op's query, even if there seems to be no Dunhill pipe chart that can be dated any earlier than 1914, the 1914 chart is still pretty interesting--presenting shapes numbered 31-62 in sequential order.

Alfred Dunhill Pipe Shapes Dec 1914.jpg Given that Loring had a pretty, sleek looking 120 he dated to 1912, it's clear even at this early period, the "standard shapes" that Dunhill published in their catalogues were never a complete list of what was available.