PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I recently picked up this Dunhill Bulldog but am having some difficulty locating information on three digit shape numbers. The date code suggests the pipe was made in 1962 and has a shape number 148. The closest thing I could find was a #48 in the Pease Collection. Can anyone direct me to a site that will provide information on three digit codes. The usual sites don't seem to have much.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
gloucesterman, I found this bit of info on David Field's Dunhill Dating guide site. Not sure if it helps or not -
1976 - 77 During this period the group number and finish code were dropped and the old shape numbers were dropped in favor of a new system. Shape numbers during this period had either 3, 4, or 5 digits.
1978-82 In 1978 shape numbers all became five digit. Also the double digit suffix number (sometimes underlined) again became smaller than the D in ENGLAND.
Field's info did not indicate when the Dunhill size/shape numbers went back to 4 digits.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Looks a bit like a Stanwell shape 32 bulldog, though perhaps a little bigger, if that's not an impolite thing to say about a Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.