Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
About a decade ago I bought a new Dunhill Shell 4203 saddle billiard from SPC and only when it arrived and I looked at the stampings did I learn it had been graded Ring Grain. It seems the designation had slipped through SPC's inventory logging unnoticed. It was like getting a Chance card in Monopoly--bank error in your favor!
A nice little surprise, Terry.
I started this thread with the question "who or what determines when a shell grain is designated Ring Grain?"
There doesn't seem to be any hard or fast ruling, from what I've seen. Certainly, some of the newer Dunhill's designation of Ring Grain versus older ones, designated Shell Grain, prove that point.

Reactions: Terry Lennox

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I think you are right. One of the issues with modern Dunhill is the sandblasting tends to be quite shallow and the briar is not as soft as the Algerian used in prior eras. This results in a lot of mediocre blasts. Also, I believe Dunhill sends the more interesting blasts to its Cumberland and County lines rather than the Shell Briar because those stains highlight the lines more than plain black.

Another thing Dunhill tends to do now is orient the grain along the heel of the bowl rather than across the sides (or cheeks) of the bowl. This results in fewer horizontal ring patterns.

To complicate matters, they also have a rare "Shilling" grade that I have not seen on a new pipe in years.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
The Shilling is a rare bird indeed!
I only have one Cumberland blast, which although is a pretty good Shell Grain, could've been a good Shilling had it been deeper. Probably something to do with the harder briar you mention.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
9042F622-C4D5-45A9-B7FD-9CAB84752005.jpeg

A piece of briar showing growth rings horizontally and grain vertically.

Just to get the terms right, because the pipe sellers confuse the word grain. A so called “ring grain”forms along the annual rings also called growth rings in the briar root ball, once it is sandblasted. Just to remember in that process of particles-storm harder parts of wood remain while softer wood washes out. You can recognise the growth rings in a block of briar easily in addition you can see the grain, like in my block of briar at the beginning.

A pipe maker of the so called “ring grain” tries to build the pipe in such a way, that the growth rings getting into a relief like a stack of rings around the bowl, once sandblasted.

This has nothing to do at all with the term “grain” used in “straight grain” or “flame grain”. What we identify here are wood fibres functioning like vessels of different colours that had been growing throughout the growth rings in direction to the surface of the rounded shape of briar root. The fibres are growing in different angles to the growth rings to serve their purpose of transportation water etc.

Unfortunately the pipe sellers don’t care much about semantic approaches, that’s called advertising or marketing.

Nevertheless the rings show up quite nice.

Last edited: