PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Promoting his own site broke the rules, that's why it was deleted. It is rule #1 actually. Which means he didn't bother to read any of them. Also, he only had 2 posts and in both of them he posted his website.

1. Commercial Posts

We do not allow commercial postings in the forums as it is not fair to our advertisers, and it is not the purpose for the forums.

The purpose of the forums is to foster a community where online friends with similar interests can virtually hangout and discuss things.

It is not a venue for trying to get business. (Putting a link to your website falls under this.)

We want people to join in the discussion; to ask questions, give answers, and create conversation.

UPDATE: July 3, 2012 - Posts such as "Check out the cool pipes / tampers / (whatever) I made" even if they are not offering the items for sale, even if you are just saying, "Hey, I made some pipes and need feedback to improve my skills, and I am not really offering to sell anything, blah, blah, blah ..." You need to have at least 50 "real posts" along with all the other rules.

PipesMagazine.com cannot be used just as a means to promote your own web site, blog, YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, or any other outside landing page.

A blog post or a forum post that is one to a few sentences that are just a lead-in to an outbound link is blatant promotion, or spam. It does nothing to add value to our site, does not enhance the user experience, and is not a participation in the community on the site.
These type of posts will be deleted.

You get two warnings and then you are banned.

Our paid advertisers are allowed to make some occasional commercial posts.

1a. (Update March 4, 2012) - Solicitation via Private Message

The Private Message system may not be used for solicitation of any kind. This is considered spam and is prohibited.

1b. (Update September 1, 2012) - Contests Not Allowed

Members are not allowed to create and promote their own contests on this site because of legal liability. Any such posts will be promptly deleted.

Well, yes. I thought the hijacking of the thread and shameless self promotion was rather gauche...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This has been a great thread, very educational. All I can say is I would never make someone a new stem for $40 (not that anyone would want me to make them one). I am a hobbiest and have cut and made my fair share of pipes and stems. I can’t even imagine the work that goes into making an exact replica, in my opinion, the stem work is the hardest and most tedious part of the pipe making process, to make a replica adds a whole other layer of complications. If/when the time comes I will be happy to pay for a replacement stem at the price that folks like George and Anthony charge as I know I’m getting a good deal for a stellar product.

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the moderation of his post. Sometimes things get misunderstood in the written world. ?

Naw... the disclaimer just became part of the original post.

But I have noticed that recently threads have been allowed to go on and on for months, where in the past they were closed after the discussion fell off. Seems it would lend to a lot more threads to constantly monitor.

Reactions: BROBS

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I cannot locate a response from Briarville to George's question list. Did I miss it?

This entire thing is a bit strange. Ric Farrah had Briarville for years---he even set up a big portable shop outside the tent at the 2019 Chicago show with fanfare like banners and flyers and coupons---then apparently sold the business days later? (!) to a guy named Rich. Someone with no history in the PipeWorld at all that I can find. Apparently just a businessman of some kind. Double-strange is Briarville's website still features Farrah and has no mention of Rich or the change of ownership.

Not my concern, of course. But when he started mining dead threads to piggyback de facto advertising disguised as comments, the confusion factor to newcomers was potentially significant and impossible to ignore. There's no rewind button on things like grinding a shank to achieve level. So I called him on it.

Personally, I'd love to see what he can do. If he truly CAN make a spot-on replica of a 1920's-era oversize Dunhill "swan neck" stem like pappymac's for $40---or any price, for that matter---without touching the shank, the PipeWorld should definitely know about it. Stems like that are triple-tough for too many technical resons to list.

It's starting to look like we'll never know, though. No response so far, anyway.

Last edited:

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Hello george,
I think no one of the real pipe lovers and collectors here would cast any doubt on your skills and abilities in pipe restoration and nobody would insinuate that you demand exorbitant prices for your work which others would do for less money. These people don't even know the difference between repair and restoration and how much (historical) knowledge is required to meet the original status. ('status quo ante').
Some weeks ago the tenon of one of my Charatans broke. Usually I sent pipes for repair or altering to a pipe maker in Berlin and was always satisfied with his work. Unfortunately this pipe maker had to quit his job because of illness.
So I sent the Charatan to a pipe repair sevice and also asked for a new CP-Logo on the stem. When I got the pipe back I was very unpleased. The tenon doesn't fit the mortise correctly, there's now a small gap between the shank and the mouthpiece and no new logo on it ('restorer' said, the logo was to weak to reinforce).
This was a cheap standard repair (€ 9,50).

Reactions: sfduke and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.