PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Dunhill pipes, now referred to as White Spot, are a separate entity. You can't tell the players without a scorecard anymore.
Russ

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Leonard.
Well, the Dunhill marque in tobacco is still worth quite a bit, I'd think. Further, that Dunhill itself is exiting the pipe tobacco business doesn't mean —necessarily—that Dunny tobaccos will cease to be produced and sold. So, what I am saying is I wouldn't be surprised if BAT sold all the rights to the name and blends to someone, er, such as Lane.... Now, there's some speculation!!

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It's probably not worth it. Paying for the trademark / rights + spending additional money to have each blend go through the FDA ringer and then they may not even be approved to be sold.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It seems pretty clear to me and. it's been mentioned here, that Dunhill has been working rather hard at eliminating the association between Dunhill and tobacco. I suspect, this, more than profit are driving this train. I guess time will tell.
Mike S.

Oct 7, 2016
Mike Stanley
+ 1. Well, really + 1/2. Still going to be in cigarettes. At least according to the releases. Maybe just a matter of time there, too.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Marty Pulvers has been railing against Dunhill for a while now. If you google his name and Dunhill you can find his rant about The White Spot".
Its also on Greg Pease, Briar and leaf chronicles

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I guess they have enough people buying $1500.00 briefcases, $350.00 dress shirts etc. to shutter the baccy business. Wonder how big that segment is?
Big enough. Dunhill has long been much more about life style and image than a particular line of products. I remember visiting the Beverly Hills store several times in the early '90's and the pipes and tobacco were a distinctly minor part of the space. Most of it was given over to clothing, jewelry, and various other "requisites".
Dunhill is about "the good life". When pipes fit into that they played a more central role. But that hasn't been the case for decades. I still wear my Dunhill tie clip on occasion.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My message to Nigel Farage:
Dear Mr. Farage,
Let me underestimate my estimation of you by saying that I appreciate everything you have done and smile each time I see you in my news feed.
I cannot vote for you, and do not have enough money to send you the amount that you deserve, but I wished to bring up a topic of great concern:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhill-pipe-tobacco-a-message-from-stg-lane
In this message, Lenoard Wortzel, the product manager for STG Lane tobacco group, confirms that the great British tobacco brand 'Dunhill' is likely to be no longer produced.
Dunhill is a symbol of Britain, in addition to amazing tobaccos. I know you are a cigar aficionado, and so perhaps you will nod along with me when I say it is one of the finest Virginias I have ever encountered. But even more, Dunhill tobaccos are British culture and excellence exported to the world.
If there is anything you can do... it is too much to hope for, I suppose, but if anyone can do it, you can.
Sincerely,
Brett Stevens

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I suspect, this, more than profit are driving this train.
I beg to differ. The Engineer of the train is ALWAYS the money trail(One way or another)...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@ashdigger:
Hold me...
@weezell:
High costs of regulations also can kill otherwise profitable brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.