PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
An English blend of latakia, Cavendish, and oriental tobaccos gave such a wonderful smoke. I've read that this is moreso called a Scottish blend.

Came in the tin at the right moisture, moreso drier. The tin note being a slight bbq with caramel. Takes a few relights to keep this going and the odor is great. A subtle warm, spicy, sweetness emanates from the pipe and i didnt want to stop. This blend reminds me of C&D's Maltese Falcon without the "mystery spice". Sipped slowly I got no tongue bite.

Will be buying more of this. Will probably get the Match 20 by Sutliff (bulk) as well to see if I get a similar experience with a more affordable price.

Smoked in: Cob by MM

Tin date: 3 months

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
An English blend of latakia, Cavendish, and oriental tobaccos gave such a wonderful smoke. I've read that this is moreso called a Scottish blend.

Came in the tin at the right moisture, moreso drier. The tin note being a slight bbq with caramel. Takes a few relights to keep this going and the odor is great. A subtle warm, spicy, sweetness emanates from the pipe and i didnt want to stop. This blend reminds me of C&D's Maltese Falcon without the "mystery spice". Sipped slowly I got no tongue bite.

Will be buying more of this. Will probably get the Match 20 by Sutliff (bulk) as well to see if I get a similar experience with a more affordable price.

You should try Balkan Supreme.?

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Good review, the more I smoke MM 965, the more I enjoy it. It just might be my smoke for tonight. I also enjoy Beck’s Old Limey Bastard that is not the same but in a similar vein. It is a bulk blend available from 4noggins.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I've been learning more about what I like, and what doesn't work. Can someone tell me why when I read descriptions of My Mixture 965 that it says it's a Latakia/Oriental/cavendish blend, yet in reviews it's mentioning Virginias in the tin? Is this the cavendish?
It contains VA, Turkish (Oriental), Latakia, and a VA Cavendish. Ignore the idea of Balkan Supreme being like this. It is fine for what it is but, it is not a Scottish mixture, like 965. I have smoked the various Dunhill iterations of 965 for almost 45 years and it is one of my favorite blends. I prefer the Match 965 (now Match 20) to the current Peterson 965 (or the previous Dunhill [STG} 965). It is closer to the Murray’s version that, I enjoyed for years. Nothing will truly match those older blends because of the demise of Syrian Latakia. Since you did like the current Peterson (which is. also, made by STG), you should indeed try the Match. The ”Dunhill cut” is lacking in the Match but, the flavor is one of the best smokes available.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It contains VA, Turkish (Oriental), Latakia, and a VA Cavendish. Ignore the idea of Balkan Supreme being like this. It is fine for what it is but, it is not a Scottish mixture, like 965. I have smoked the various Dunhill iterations of 965 for almost 45 years and it is one of my favorite blends. I prefer the Match 965 (now Match 20) to the current Peterson 965 (or the previous Dunhill [STG} 965). It is closer to the Murray’s version that, I enjoyed for years. Nothing will truly match those older blends because of the demise of Syrian Latakia. Since you did like the current Peterson (which is. also, made by STG), you should indeed try the Match. The ”Dunhill cut” is lacking in the Match but, the flavor is one of the best smokes available.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but my suggestion of trying Balkan Supreme wasn’t based on it being any kind of a match to 965, but rather a suggestion based on several tobaccos that she has stated she enjoyed.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
At a certainly point, I realized that I was in love with this blend. It quickly became one of those that I reach for when I can't decide what I want to smoke, but it took a long time for me to realize that I held it in such high regard. My assistant hates the room note because I smoke it all the time at the office lol.

Great succinct review. I get what you're saying about the mystery spice in Maltese Falcon, I can't quite put my finger on it.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
At a certainly point, I realized that I was in love with this blend. It quickly became one of those that I reach for when I can't decide what I want to smoke, but it took a long time for me to realize that I held it in such high regard. My assistant hates the room note because I smoke it all the time at the office lol.

Great succinct review. I get what you're saying about the mystery spice in Maltese Falcon, I can't quite put my finger on it.
I think it is cinnamon.

Reactions: Magpiety

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I have been smoking some 965 today its the brown Cavendish that makes it special. Iam about to order the sutliffe match to compare I Read that it has black Cavendish which makes the blend sweeter by how much I will have to find out.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.