PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Finally got ahold of some. Been on a vaper kick recently. I very much enjoy Escudo and I've read quite a few reviews comparing these two. I was excited to analyze it deeply and find all the nuances. I was disappointed in that regard because I don't think the two are similar at all, but happy because I very much enjoyed the Dunhill for what my pallette said it is. As I smoked the Dunhill I kept saying to myself, this tastes like Newminster Sup 400. And it does. Probably because they list thier VA source as the same places, as far as I can tell. The mix of VAs in the Dunhill, and the 400 have an earthy quality that to me takes center stage in the VA smoke profile. The perique, to me, is obviously peppery and really works to give that earthy VA flavor a bit more personality. The sweetness of the perique I suspect is the platform that allows those two other flavors to play nice, but I not convinced of that yet. The figgy and whatver other periquey sweetness is there, but it is distinct only in moments. The Dunhill VAs are the real star of Navy Rolls, and the other players know it. That to me is why the Dunhill is completely different than Escudo. Escudo appears to be the opposite. Ill need to try a bit more Escudo with this in mind, but im fairly certain it is the perique that is the star of the show, and the VAs work on its personality through the smoke. How exactly, I can't describe at the moment. But I think they are both very good. I could easily choose between the two depending on my my mood and that is why I'd have them both on hand. Would love to hear others thoughts.

Last edited:

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Try the Stokebye Navy Flake and Rimboche AP. Age the Navy Flake and smoke the Rimboche fresh unless you buy it in a tin.

Reactions: dcicero

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Smoked some aged escudo and Dunhill recently and to me they’re not the same. Dunhill is darker sweeter and less peppery. Escudo felt like it’s made with lighter va, and it’s more peppery.

Reactions: dcon and dcicero

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I haven't smoked Escudo in a while but the last time I smoked DNR a couple weeks ago it seemed to be way more peppery than I had remembered it.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I bought 8 tins of Dunhill Navy Rolls a few months ago. Not sure what the years are. Guy was selling them for $20 a tin, and I bought them all. Still haven’t popped one, but if it’s similar to Escudo but sweeter and supposedly better, I’m gonna like it.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith