Dunhill Mystery Inner Tube Patent Bulldog (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's a pipe I grabbed for a cheap bargain. I'm guessing because the nomenclature is all but gone, there is a silver accent (Barling no less from 1902) and the stem is a bit chewed. It's got all the makings of a FrankenPipe, but an AWESOME one.
The stem fits flush to the mortise. I wasn't paying attention when I put it back together.

I'm calling this a silver accent because of two reasons: 1- It's not dated correctly to the pipe 2- As far as I can tell with a magnifying glass the shank is sound.

The remnant of Dunhill is the there and London is started.

Here is "Inner Tube" with the Patent and Shape # 47

Here's the Dunhill over London very hard to read, but its there.

Here's the Inner Tube - It Reads Patent No 5861/12
I'm thinking of having it restored but I'm not sure. It'll smoke just fine and I don't think any resto is going to fix the nomenclature. Besides having the Barling band is kinda cool.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some smoker didn't want to be seen with a plebeian Dunhill pipe, viola, instant Barling's, for the discerning smoker! They probably just kept a thumb neatly folded over the White Dot. I wish that one could talk!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice. I would leave it as a Frankenpipe. A nice polishing job overall and you've got a good-looking conversation piece, and hopefully a good smoker as well.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
digger,
that's a great lookin old Dunhill. Much nicer than my bargain Dunny.
Here's a couple of before and after's

Don't know if you can tell but it had been reamed really aggressively and the bowl was asymetrical. The bit was pretty chewed up as well.
Anyway, many many hours later and I ended up with this...

The nomenclature is difficult to make out, but with a bit of effort you can see it.
Really doesn't matter to me though. I bought it to clean up and smoke and that's what I do with it. By the way, it really likes Black Cavendish :)

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks Digger.
Something pretty satisfying, for me at least, to take an old beater like this and make it a pretty little smoker.
This is my first and only Pot style pipe. Man does that bowl hold a lot of Black Cavendish. :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Bonanza, I really like pot shaped straight pipes like yours I have six all together. 4 Comoy and 2 Sasieni. Soon to have a Ryan Alden.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
They're serious smokers.
For me at least, I have found that I enjoy a mellower smoke in em. The other full bodied tobaccos are a bit overwhelming in it.
I'm just a lightweight I guess :(

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Mr. Digger,
This one has enough of a rounded rim-edge to keep the deep pocket collectors away, but is otherwise quite nice. Might be worth a shot:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-DUNHILL-R-SHELL-1967-/361930109175?hash=item5444b730f7

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Got the internals cleaned up and smoking some Reiner Long Golden Flake in it. Definitely a keeper. But it's going to need a new stem since the chewing makes for an odd clench. But overall I'm happy with a smoker and not just a cabinet archival collectors grade weed burner.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Neat stuff with that Barhill!
Damn, hate it when photos are so underexposed so as to "accidentally" hide what's there. Now, there may be nothing to hide, and it may in fact be innocent poor photography.
s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.