PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I purchased a few older Dunhill tins recently, all of them in great shape considering their age. The one that stands out to me as I smoke through them is the My Mixture A-11010, a heavy Latakia blend. From the limited information I was able to find on the internet, it seems that it was a blend that was sold at Dunhill retail stores, and judging from the older style font on the label, I’m guessing it might be from the late 70s.
Before opening the tin, I was unsure of what condition the tobacco would be in, but when I popped the tin, I was greeted by a fantastic aroma and was delighted to find the tobacco still slightly moist, ready to smoke.

There’s plenty of Latakia in the blend. Maybe some toasted Virginias and some Turkish leaf? Whatever’s in there, it has been a great smoke.

I’m curious if any of you veteran smokers have any experience with this blend.

953AC6C2-2735-42F7-8AEE-60B903D5C02E.jpeg
6DE3EE4F-A8D3-4F45-BE41-01A424DEB795.jpeg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Interesting. Are you meaning that you think Dunhill was packaging and selling a Lane tobacco in tins with their labels?
Yes. Lane Ltd was the Dunhill distributor in the USA for decades. The Dunhill shops in the USA sold renamed Lane tobacco in the decorative tins. Up until when Murray closed in 2005 Lane made the bulk 965, EMP and Night Cap sold in the USA too.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yes. Lane Ltd was the Dunhill distributor in the USA for decades. The Dunhill shops in the USA sold renamed Lane tobacco in the decorative tins. Up until when Murray closed in 2005 Lane made the bulk 965, EMP and Night Cap sold in the USA too.
Interesting. Didn’t realize. But they didn’t make the tinned versions of this blends? Would they have made the blends in the London shop?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and n_irwin

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
This is why I love the forum—so much great knowledge out there.

Reactions: ofafeather

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
@daveinlax , a question about the tin… The artwork on the tin is from the 70s—at least what I understand is that they switched the My Mixture artwork to the current version in the late 70s. Does that mean that this tobacco is that old, or did they continue to use paper labels with the old artwork on tins sold in the stores after that point?