PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The Dunhill name drop gets the pipe posted in eBay search feeds. I get an email every time the pipe is resisted.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Just google Dunhill Meerschaum Pipe. I guess it’s a design, but why is it called that?

Attachments

• 4AB1D8A9-7DAE-4D19-BF46-0059B2759DBC.jpeg
    4AB1D8A9-7DAE-4D19-BF46-0059B2759DBC.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 19DE201E-1F93-45E5-BD98-4BB093DCB503.jpeg
    19DE201E-1F93-45E5-BD98-4BB093DCB503.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
I hadn't noticed that. My guess is it's an attempt to screw a few more $$ out of potential buyers.
One website calls it a Dunhill design. Eh. Maybe one of the meerschaum nuts here may know of the origins. (Other than trying to get more dinero) lol.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Was this what he looked like later on in life? What is the connection?

Thanks for the pics. The answer’s no. Whatever the inspiration for the carving it’s definitely not Alfred Dunhill or his son Alfred Henry Dunhill, at any stage of their lives. Just conceivably it’s supposed to represent Mary Dunhill, but on balance I doubt it.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Good question, I've wondered the same. Pipe design does not resemble any picture of either of the Dunhills I can find. Google search yields nothing...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As I understand it, Dunhill made some meerschaum pipes themselves but discontinued them after Turkey halted the export of raw meerschaum.

There are also some alleged Dunhill meerschaums that were done, for lack of a better term, as commissions but I haven't seen any documentation to back this up.

Then there a ton of no-name meers marketed as Dunhills in the shape mentioned but I don't know of Dunhill ever authorizing this. (If you see a cheap "Dunhill" meer it likely is not an actual Dunhill brand.)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself can clear things up.

Reactions: bayareabriar

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Yeah, I think we are all in agreement that they are not dunhill brand.

I also think they are not being sold (or mislead) as Dunhills; just referencing the style.

the cover of the book is interesting and may have some validity.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Burleyboy has it! It's absolutely because of the Dunhill book. It's both the origin of Turkish carvers using that specific subject, and of sellers calling that a "Dunhill." To be a "Dunhill," it really needs that style of soft cap, the tassel hanging to one side, and an old face with a long beard. Modern carvers often have the figure smoking a pipe, sometimes also shaped as a bearded man. A now-gone shop in Seattle had a meer on display (not for sale) which depicted a man smoking a pipe. The pipe's man was smoking a pipe. THAT pipe was smoking another pipe, and that one was smoking another!

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Burleyboy has it! It's absolutely because of the Dunhill book. It's both the origin of Turkish carvers using that specific subject, and of sellers calling that a "Dunhill." To be a "Dunhill," it really needs that style of soft cap, the tassel hanging to one side, and an old face with a long beard. Modern carvers often have the figure smoking a pipe, sometimes also shaped as a bearded man. A now-gone shop in Seattle had a meer on display (not for sale) which depicted a man smoking a pipe. The pipe's man was smoking a pipe. THAT pipe was smoking another pipe, and that one was smoking another!
Mystery Solved. Thank you everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.