PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
This lighter is one I acquired in one of my sortees to Estate Sales, auctions etc. Well when I tried to fill it with butane it spewed out of the bottom. I saw these rebuild kits on ebay and messaged the guy with pictures of the Dunhill I had and if his kit would work on my lighter and if he had detailed instructions. Got a reply back and he said it would most definitely work with my lighter. The kit was only around $15,00. Received the kit and sat down and did the meticulous work of replacing gaskets, felt pad and these very small gaskets and spring in the gas control valve and the needle valve. He did give detailed instructions with an exploded view of the Dunhill and its parts. I now have a working Vintage with pat. no. Dunhill lighter, very pleased I am.DSC03288.JPGDSC03289.JPGDSC03291.JPG

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love it! I would like to find these with thing one of these days. I have had a brief exchange with said E-Bay store owner. Very knowledgeable and nice guy.

I’ve looked st a lot of refurbished Dunhill on eBay from Japan. They go for about $85 to $150 or less. However, I like the idea of the find like yours and the do it yourself rebuild project. I’m not super handy, but given step by step instructions it doesn’t sound over the top complicated. I may have to do some hunting now!

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Love it! I would like to find these with thing one of these days. I have had a brief exchange with said E-Bay store owner. Very knowledgeable and nice guy.

I’ve looked st a lot of refurbished Dunhill on eBay from Japan. They go for about $85 to $150 or less. However, I like the idea of the find like yours and the do it yourself rebuild project. I’m not super handy, but given step by step instructions it doesn’t sound over the top complicated. I may have to do some hunting now!
It was not overly difficult @jttnk and I have the exploded view of these Dunhills now, they were not available online anywhere for free. I searched and searched. His kit was for 2 rebuilds on my lighter so I have an extra one if ever needed. The main thing is that the parts are so small, I have tremors in my hands so had to make sure I was over a try so as not to lose them. He includes a large safety pin, silicone grease and this wood dowel to assist in repairing the lighter, now you can buy his kit with all tools included but I had the other tools. Yes he was a very nice guy and more than willing to help. I do alot of Estates and sales plus auctions, I will keep my eye out for more Dunhills.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jttnk

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Anyone have some good suggestions on sites to visit to learn a bit about what too look for and where to look (besides eBay) for vintage Dunhill Rollgas lighters?
If I were you I would look online for Estate Auctions in your area. I run across some in those around my area. Matter of fact this is where the one I rebuilt came from. It was with some other lesser lighters but a diamond in the rough. Thing about those Estate Auctions is if it is a home their doing the auction on you cannot go preview the items, but if a gallery auction then you get to preview them. I did not get to preview this lighter. Try hibid.com, then there is an place to put your location.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
This lighter is one I acquired in one of my sortees to Estate Sales, auctions etc. Well when I tried to fill it with butane it spewed out of the bottom. I saw these rebuild kits on ebay and messaged the guy with pictures of the Dunhill I had and if his kit would work on my lighter and if he had detailed instructions. Got a reply back and he said it would most definitely work with my lighter. The kit was only around $15,00. Received the kit and sat down and did the meticulous work of replacing gaskets, felt pad and these very small gaskets and spring in the gas control valve and the needle valve. He did give detailed instructions with an exploded view of the Dunhill and its parts. I now have a working Vintage with pat. no. Dunhill lighter, very pleased I am.View attachment 44095View attachment 44096View attachment 44097
I have a Dunhill Rollagas gold lighter I purchased, at cost, when I worked at Diebel's in KCMO. Retail in 1974 was $160, and I paid $80. You know with the price of gold being what it is now you know what you have there, I'm sure. Mine is in my safety deposit box. I have never had to repair it, but then I don't use it that much since I have a GBD with a side button to direct the flame for a pipe. I've attached a couple of pictures. I even think the same people who made the Rollaway for Dunhill, made this for GBD; Looks and feels just like the Rollagas, but in chrome. I just couldn't be comfortable taking my good one out and about knowing how easy it is to lose things. In any event you got a GREAT bargain!20210122_091839_compress49.jpg20210122_091859_compress2.jpg
This lighter is one I acquired in one of my sortees to Estate Sales, auctions etc. Well when I tried to fill it with butane it spewed out of the bottom. I saw these rebuild kits on ebay and messaged the guy with pictures of the Dunhill I had and if his kit would work on my lighter and if he had detailed instructions. Got a reply back and he said it would most definitely work with my lighter. The kit was only around $15,00. Received the kit and sat down and did the meticulous work of replacing gaskets, felt pad and these very small gaskets and spring in the gas control valve and the needle valve. He did give detailed instructions with an exploded view of the Dunhill and its parts. I now have a working Vintage with pat. no. Dunhill lighter, very pleased I am.View attachment 44095View attachment 44096View attachment 44097

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
It is said that luxury is that which can be repaired. I firmly believe this statement and try to purchase things that can be maintained and mended throughout their lives. Dunhill lighters fall into this category. Nice job.

Reactions: jpmcwjr