PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I was told they will be under the Peterson line (ie. Peterson Nightcap, etc.). The guy seemed pretty sure of himself. DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if this guy knows or, thinks he knows. :?:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Their legal department responded that such an interpretation of intent on their part was preposterous.
LOL ... I love how they denied their intentions when confronted.
You're not supposed to be able to understand their language.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Great news. Now I can smoke Dark Flake with abandon. The timeline is pretty much what I'd understood should be expected and have shared in the past. First get Peterson in distribution, then move on the Dunhill tobaccos. My sources were solid and, as it turns out, correct. Glad I listened and didn't chase overpriced tins.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Then there will be like four clones of Dunhill on the market,Charatan Dunhill,Kolhase&Kopp ,Wellauers Clones and finally the SGT,how long this nonsense will keep going on,,,
Since the STG stuff is the only 'Dunhill' I know, I'm fine with that. To me, the STG stuff is 'Dunhill' tobacco, the others will be the clones.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Can a pipe tobacco blend be protected by law? I’m doubting it. Unless it was part of STG’s contract with BAT, an agreement to not produce and sell the blends outside their partnership.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can a pipe tobacco blend be protected by law? I’m doubting it.
I agree, and it's probably why there is so much secrecy and just plain bull in the tobacco blend manufacturing business.

But it would be possible to patent a unique process that creates a blend.
Dunhill didn't invent sandblasting. The patent for that dates back to 1870. So Dunhill couldn't take out a patent on sandblasting, but they could take out a patent on the use of heat and oil processing to harden the wood for sandblasting.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So right, Dave.
This reminds me of what Troels Mikkelsen said when Orlik took over production of Capstan Flake. Orlik utilized the tins and labels leftover from the Liverpool factory and never received a complaint; but when they started using their own labels, complaints about the Orlik version started coming in. [Source: Orlik Factory Tour video.]
:rofl:

That’s hilarious!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes I do agree with You but if my memory serves right earlier to STG production there was this Dunhills done by Murray's
Correct, Murray's and Robert McConnell. And Murray's simplified some of the steps involved in making some of the Dunhill product, so Murray's isn't exactly the same thing. Then along comes Orlik and STG 20+ years later and they have their own suppliers and production line. They're not going to be the same thing as the Murray's. Dunhill is just a brand name. But if you like the blends, none of this matters.

Mar 1, 2014
As long as they try to approximate the original blends I’m all for it. Dunhill was great for their thin cut and easy maintenance burn on something like Nightcap, I’ll definitely check out the new blends once STG gets things sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.