Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
So I extended beyond my normal comfort zone and got this DUNHILL "INNER-TUBE" PIPE PATENTED IN 1915, FIRST YEAR OF WHITE SPOT. It does not appear to come with the inner-tube, which is merely a metal tube. From what little I know, you can smoke them just fine without the tube. I got it primarily, because it is a Zulu and it appears to have a of lot Bird's-Eye and is a fine specimen of briar. Also I like the condition and the year-one status on the "White-Spot." I am sending it out to get cleaned-up, but it looks to be in remarkable shape for a 100 year old pipe. Should I try and get a couple/few inner-tubes or just smoke as is? Here is a link, I have been unable to post pictures. If one of the mods wants to throw me a bone and put up a photo, I would appreciate it and edit this post accordingly. thanks in advance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-INNER-TUBE-PIPE-PATENTED-IN-1915-FIRST-YEAR-OF-WHITE-SPOT-PIPESTUD-/391386845035?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=cXKDOjs7j%252FTAoLsSMsLRZcESlWg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
STAMPED & ITEM DESCRIPTION - Stamped: as shown in the photo section of this auction. You can super size the photos to get a really up close look. As Dunhill experts know, it just doesn't get much rarer than this! I used both the 1984 R.D. Field and the 1997 John Loring Dunhill dating guides as my references in determining the age and rarity of this pipe. The early Dunhill pipes with the "Inner Tube" and Patented in March 9 * 15 stamp were made in either 1914 or 1915. But, since the famous Dunhill 'White Spot' was unveiled in 1915, this pipe had to be made that year because it has the 'White Spot' and that adds to the rarity of this piece as it is first-year 'White Spot' production.
Close scrutiny of this pipe indicates to me several things; It has a solid bowl interior with little to no thinning of the inner walls. The top of the rim appears to have been buffed to remove or minimize scratching. There also remains some rim darkening. There is a loss of crispness around the inner rim but I consider that to be minor, particularly when taking this pipe's age into consideration. The nomenclature, as you can see in the photos, is still totally readable, although quite faded. And finally, the stem is not oxidized and for the most part remains shiny black with only scratching and no bite marks. I do detect a very slight impression on the top of the stem near the button. I have also included up close photos of the top and bottom of the stem and also a photo of the pipe taken apart to allow you to see the tenon and the button. No sign of any alterations at all. It is my belief that this is indeed a first year 'White Spot' Dunhill "Inner Tube" pipe from 1915 after using the aforementioned reference materials from two of the most famous Dunhill historians of our time (Field and Loring). I am certainly no Dunhill pipe expert myself and hope I have represented this pipe fairly and accurately.
APPROXIMATE SIZE & WEIGHT: Length: just over 5-inches. Bowl height: 1-1/2 inches. Rim width: 1.2 inches. Chamber width: .70 inches. Weight is 25.3 grams.
STEM MATERIAL - Vulcanite.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have a period correct inner tube from a 59 billiard. AFAIK all inner tubes were the same diameter, but differed in length unlike the current inner tubes that are all the same length.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Very nice, should you want to replace the innertube they are available and not pricey at all, I think I paid $15 for 4 with shipping, enjoy that fine piece of history!

banjo

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How many people get to walk around holding and smoking a self-contained miniature museum? :clap:
Outstanding, my man!
The jaunty, rakish shape is unusual in the best possible way, too.
I think you'll find that century-old survivors smoke well as a categorical thing. My favorite theory to explain that is their being good smokers is why they survived---people cherished and protected their favorite/best pipes
FWIW, I agree completely with Pipestud's appraisal of condition and authenticity. :D
Enjoy!

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Since this pipe is stamped Dunhill over London, would this pipe have to date to 1918 at the earliest? Wouldn't a 1915 pipe be Dunhill over Duke St? I'm not a Dunhill expert, so I'm sincerely asking what I'm missing.
Doc

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Doctorbob you are correct, I would say the pipe dates to 1920-21.
Bruyeres with tails on the D were produced from November 1920.
See example here, with the PATENTED MARCH.9.15 mark,
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent1.html#36
915-600x332.jpg

912.jpg

9153-600x424.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
BTW, thanks for posting the pictures of the pipe. I bought it for what it is, a Dunhill Zulu with a lot of Bird's Eye. That it is circa 1920-21 would not have deterred me. It should clean up nicely. I will have to wait until 2021 to celebrate its 100th birthday, so I fully intend to break it out on 6-21-21, my 62nd B-day and celebrate both milestones.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Clarification of my earlier comment:

FWIW, I agree completely with Pipestud's appraisal of condition and authenticity.
I should have said physical authenticity, as in original stem & etc.
My nomenclature expertise is limited to a quick look-up in Loring's book, which does not contain his later in-depth study of Dunhill's first decade.
dmcmtk on the other hand, would make Sherlock Holmes smile. I consider him this board's go-to guy when a Dunhill stamp needs untangling.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Jackswilling, Having a 1920-1921 Dunhill is perhaps better than having one from 1915. If memory serves, 1920 was the year Dunhill started turning their own stummels.

Aug 14, 2012
I just take them out and throw most of them away. They mess up the smoke. They were introduced before the invention of pipecleaners.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I will say, the only pipe I have that uses one is my driest smoking pipe, by far. I think the POTENTIAL great advantage of a properly fitted inner tube is the creation of a straight shot, smooth, non-turbulent draw from the bowl to the bit. I honestly don't know if it is the mechanics of that particular pipe, or the inner tube itself, but the combination is (to me) pure smoking bliss. I never smoke that pipe without an inner tube in place, and it is my most often smoked pipe, period.
Doc.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
That being said, Foggy owns and smokes more Dunhill pipes than I've ever even laid my eyes upon, so his experience, and advice, far outweigh mine own.
Doc.

Aug 14, 2012
The concept was that you could remove the tube and clean it, to clean the inside of the pipe. In practice it makes it more difficult to get a pipecleaner through and it is just a place for more gunk to accumulate. The invention of pipecleaners made the tube obsolete. Dunhill sticks with it for the sake of tradition, though I have received many new pipes without the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.