PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I just received my birth year pipe a 1973 Shell Billiard. Besides a no name Italian estate Dublin all my other pipes were new mid level Sav‘s and Pete’s and a few Rossi and Ropp.

I loaded it with some GH brown twist and I must admit there really was something special there , not just in my head. The balance of the clench, the mouthfeel of the stem, the ease of draw, had a really great smoke down to the ash.

Figured I’ve spent well over $1500 on tobacco I might as well get a nicer pipe and it was well worth it I intend on getting a 7 day set of these for sure…

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Need some pics
I just received my birth year pipe a 1973 Shell Billiard. Besides a no name Italian estate Dublin all my other pipes were new mid level Sav‘s and Pete’s and a few Rossi and Ropp.

I loaded it with some GH brown twist and I must admit there really was something special there , not just in my head. The balance of the clench, the mouthfeel of the stem, the ease of draw, had a really great smoke down to the ash.

Figured I’ve spent well over $1500 on tobacco I might as well get a nicer pipe and it was well worth it I intend on getting a 7 day set of these for sure…

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Congratulations on a purchase that ticked all the boxes for you! Dunhill is a well respected brand for a reason. IMO the top four old English brands are: (in no particular order)

Dunhill
Sasieni
Charatan
Barling

It is always a matter of taste and different eras seem to produce different results but if you do a little research you can’t go wrong with any of these plus they have an amazing and interesting history, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Congrats again on your new Dunhill! 😊👍😉

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'm watching a beautiful Dunhill Cumberland on auction that I'm dieing to have. Just hope the price doesn't get to crazy. Gonna have to probley sell a few pipes to make up for the cost of this one and ask the wife for forgiveness later 😆
Fingers crossed

Reactions: That Guy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Too much hype. Just didn't get me interested. On the other hand, with all the shit thrown at, I just had to have Peterson.
My personal take on Dunhill is I've never smoked one. When I see them I often have the experience of thinking wow that's a nice pipe then looking at the price and thinking what the heck, that's not a 1000 dollar pipe. Who knows maybe if I owned one I'd start thinking worth every cent. Then again think the economics of pipe prices don't correlate to smoking quality as much as they do to amount of work that goes into the pipe (artisan pipes cost more in part because it takes more work and time) and quality control. I think after the lowest end of the price scale most of the quality control goes into aesthetics how many fills or how the grain looks. Example the 60 dollar pipes I've smoked have been fine smokers but have really dull grain or fills that I wouldn't be fine with in a 100 dollar pipe.