Dunhill History (Late 60s - Early 2000s)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Hello all,

I've noticed in my perusing of Dunhill pipes and their history that there seems to be a fairly significant blackspot when it comes to the legacy of the company after the glory days of the 60s. To my understanding, Dunhill switched factories at the end of the 60s and now the market regards those pipes of the 70s, 80s, and 90s of of less value (in descending order) than those of the 60s. I'd be interested to find out if anyone knows anything about Dunhill during those three decades, and in particular the 90s where there is hardly any information to be found. I also own a 1992 4102 Root Briar, so any information on the early 90s would be very appreciated.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
A member here, @forciori has been updating the Pipedia page like he’s getting paid to do so. Have you checked there lately? There’s so much there (and so much that has been officially verified by the company) that it’d take weeks to read! I’d recommended checking it out!

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
A member here, @forciori has been updating the Pipedia page like he’s getting paid to do so. Have you checked there lately? There’s so much there (and so much that has been officially verified by the company) that it’d take weeks to read! I’d recommended checking it out!

Man, this page has grown to about twice or three times the size since I last read it. Thanks for the heads up!

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Hello David.
It's always good to see someone interested in Dunhill history. Welcome on board! ;)

I'm trying to do my best there... Please disregard some possible grammatical errors - I'm working on it too. Soon it will be a perfect and enjoyable reading (feel free to make any suggestions).

So, for now, I recommend these links:

5.1 About New and Old Pipes
&
4.3.2 Pipe Workshop Today
&
14 Dunhill in Press

----
I hope that helps!
Keep in touch.

Yang : :

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
About Quality Control (Just an opinion).
I bought this set - exactly - a year ago. They are commemorative pieces of a limited series, named "Classic Series", that celebrated the brand's most prestigious shapes. They're beautiful pipes, but...
Even as an admirer of the brand, I need to recognize that it was not always a flower bed of roses.

There are pipes from different periods that, due to the manufacturing process, present some minor irregularities, such as misaligned bowl drilling, white dot or funnel bore. I have (and I've seen) pipes from every decade (except pre-18) but I must say that: nothing compared to the '90s. I'm not even going to talk about the poor sandblasting or smoking experience of this period. So, they both have all these problems. Despite all this, even the rings were placed without criteria, i.e, one stamp on it facing the shank and another facing the mouthpiece. Anyway, they tell stories and I think is worthy keep them both as members of a collection.

83995223_3619554761449545_5946637033131737088_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.